Swinging Automatic Coop Door

striperon

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Kennebunkport, ME
Since my coop is not tall enough for an up-and-down automatic door, I need to purchase a swinging door if I want one at all. I have some concerns about ice and snow here in Maine with a swinging door, but there is no choice. I researched the Pullet-Shut Door. Are there any other options for swinging doors?

My coop was a loving gift from my DW. I am very lucky to have her in my life. This is my coop (using the advertising photo):

I have the pullet shut door and I had some of your concerns, in addition to the high winds (up to 70mph) we get here. My solution was to build a "chunnel (chicken tunnel)" that sits in front of the door to protect it from wind and also from birds trying to roost on top of the door when it is open. It also prevents rain and snow blowing in through the door. You can see pictures on my "My Coop" page, to give you an idea of how it works. It is not cute - I made it from an internal door that was donated to me, cut in half, and then attached pieces of scrap lumber. I'm sure if you wanted to, you could make one that is attractive and matches your coop. But at least mine might give you some ideas for what you can do for yours.

HEChicken,

I need some driving instructions to be to your "My Coop" page. I looked in the gallery and didn't find it there. I used the search feature for the Forums, and didn't find it there.

HEChicken,

I need some driving instructions to be to your "My Coop" page. I looked in the gallery and didn't find it there. I used the search feature for the Forums, and didn't find it there.
Oh goodness - I'm sorry. If you look to the left of this post, you will see my name and avatar. Under the photo is my location and a link that says "My Coop". Click on that and it will take you straight there...

Thanks. I needed the help to find your coop.

I am in admiration or your work. You did a fine job. Your feeder design is creative, too.

Is your pullet-shut door still working well?

Yes it is. We had a problem about a month ago where the door stopped working and DH tracked it down to the solar panel. I talked to the company and it was out of warranty but he said in the meantime they had switched to another model that is much better, and he made a deal with me on shipping due to the inconvenience of having the first one quit working. The new one arrived quickly, DH installed it in a better location than the first had been, and the door is back to working flawlessly again.

Back
Top Bottom