Swollen face

Any bugs or imbedded ticks on her face, in her ears, etc.?
She has an abrasion/wound on her right side near her beak. Can you tell if that's from another bird picking at her or?
For the swelling to worsen even after a dose of benedryl, then it's likely not due to a reaction from a sting.

Still hard to know what's causing the swelling. If it doesn't improve, then consider giving and antibiotic like Tylan.
I found the abrasion after the swelling started and she was in with the flock for a bit so I’m assuming it is a peck mark. There was a tiny bit of crusted something in the corner of her eye last night. I do not and have not seen any ticks or bugs etc. I even looked in her ears for signs of ear infections etc. On a better note I think the swelling has come down a tiny bit today, her eye is more open and it seems to looks tad bit better, although still quite puffy. I am going to give her all the natural remedies I have been again. I will try to make the golden paste later. Doing the turmeric actually slipped my mind and I will have to give her some. Sorry it has been insane lately. I’m dealing with a lot all at once. Our cat is sick, my duck is limping for no reason (I checked for bumble foot and any swollen joint or anything even up into his feathers) and my horse has a bad leg injury most likely a tendon injury from the neighbor dog chasing her in laps. (We are taking her to the vet next week since our vet couldn’t get her in till then) And now this poor hen. All of this while we are trying to move. Sorry I’m ranting it’s just exhausting

I found the abrasion after the swelling started and she was in with the flock for a bit so I’m assuming it is a peck mark. There was a tiny bit of crusted something in the corner of her eye last night. I do not and have not seen any ticks or bugs etc. I even looked in her ears for signs of ear infections etc. On a better note I think the swelling has come down a tiny bit today, her eye is more open and it seems to looks tad bit better, although still quite puffy. I am going to give her all the natural remedies I have been again. I will try to make the golden paste later. Doing the turmeric actually slipped my mind and I will have to give her some. Sorry it has been insane lately. I’m dealing with a lot all at once. Our cat is sick, my duck is limping for no reason (I checked for bumble foot and any swollen joint or anything even up into his feathers) and my horse has a bad leg injury most likely a tendon injury from the neighbor dog chasing her in laps. (We are taking her to the vet next week since our vet couldn’t get her in till then) And now this poor hen. All of this while we are trying to move. Sorry I’m ranting it’s just exhausting
I’m sorry Pickles, big hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs

I’m happy to hear she’s going a big better. Even if it’s a small improvement it means she’s not getting worse, and there’s great to hear.
I’m sorry about everything the RSS going on, that’s rough. Big hugs.
As for your duck, whet breed? Maybe try offering more niacin. Niacin deficiencies commonly cause lameness in ducks, and large breeds along with Perkins are prone to it.

I dont have much advise for you beyond that, but I really hope things start to look up. Hoping all your animals will recover very quickly. I hope ever works out. :hugs

You might try to get Tylan 50 injectable and give it orally. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound 3 times a day, 8 hours apart for 5 days. Do you notice a bad odor from her face? That would be a sign of coryza. Coryza is best treated with sulfadimethoxine (Medicox from jedds.com) or culling.
https://jedds.com/products/medicox-medpet

I’m sorry Pickles, big hugs. :hugs:hugs:hugs

I’m happy to hear she’s going a big better. Even if it’s a small improvement it means she’s not getting worse, and there’s great to hear.
I’m sorry about everything the RSS going on, that’s rough. Big hugs.
As for your duck, whet breed? Maybe try offering more niacin. Niacin deficiencies commonly cause lameness in ducks, and large breeds along with Perkins are prone to it.

I dont have much advise for you beyond that, but I really hope things start to look up. Hoping all your animals will recover very quickly. I hope ever works out. :hugs
Thanks so much. 😊 He’s a pekin duck. Yeah I have some B complex I could give him. He’s a year and a half old. I’ve put him in a crate to test it. I’m thinking it’s an injury of sorts since it happened when he was separated for a few hours. I’m guessing he tried to escape. As for the hen with the swollen face, she is looking even better today just still a tiny bit puffy. There is no bad odor and I have seen no mucus or discharge of any sort.

Thanks so much. 😊 He’s a pekin duck. Yeah I have some B complex I could give him. He’s a year and a half old. I’ve put him in a crate to test it. I’m thinking it’s an injury of sorts since it happened when he was separated for a few hours. I’m guessing he tried to escape. As for the hen with the swollen face, she is looking even better today just still a tiny bit puffy. There is no bad odor and I have seen no mucus or discharge of any sort.
Yay! That’s great to hear about your hen. Maybe it was a sting after all. With this improvement I see no need to give Tuylan, so glad she’s going better.

Try crating with the B Complex. Sprains usually have no symptoms other than limping. The good thing is their easy to treat. Crate him for a few days and see if that helps. Rest usually gets rid of a sprain quickly. :)

Yay! That’s great to hear about your hen. Maybe it was a sting after all. With this improvement I see no need to give Tuylan, so glad she’s going better.

Try crating with the B Complex. Sprains usually have no symptoms other than limping. The good thing is their easy to treat. Crate him for a few days and see if that helps. Rest usually gets rid of a sprain quickly. :)
Yeah! The hen isn’t 100% better but still better. The duck had been resting in the crate on and off for over a week. I will reevaluate him tonight.

Back
Top Bottom