Swollen guinea toe

ladynewtochicks

Songster
Mar 21, 2016
Montana
My guinea hen has one very swollen toe all of a sudden. She seems otherwise fine and was running around eating just fine this morning. She's not very people friendly, I didn't raise her so I'm honestly amazed I was able to catch her to get a picture this morning so I'm not sure there's much I could do even if there was any sort of treatment. Mostly I want to be sure this isn't contagious to my chicken flock. I don't think its frostbite is been nice spring weather here for nearly a month now. I will post a picture in comments. Thanks

Circulation issue secondary to Scaly Leg mite I wonder? She may have just banged it and injured it. Is it warm? Is there a puncture underneath?

Sorry- only just seen your reply.
I would treat her for scaly leg might then ; can do no harm. Smear the legs very well with vaseline, making sure you rub it in well. Do this for a few days .
Some people dip their legs in alcohol first ( some in petrol!!!!!!) but I don't agree with that as the skin is sore enough as it is without pouring stinging alcohol on them. The Vaseline is enough to suffocate them I've found.
My Vaseline stuff is one for horses that has teatree oil in it. I'd treat all the others too as they are probably infected and give your perches a good scrub down with disinfectant.

Good luck and keep us posted x

Back
Top Bottom