Ta dah! The girls are moved in!

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
Much like us, they have the bare necessities. After a very late start today, the window, pop door, and one roof vent was done. We plan another window on the other side of the shed and more roof vents, though I do think there's adequate ventilation now. We'll likely have to redo the pop door. The bedding isn't as planned. Way too much straw and not enough pine shavings. I'd planned a more layered deep bedding... but it'll have to do. Got to do nest boxes soon...but no one's laying yet.
20221010_175257.jpg

Little beggers were surprisingly hard to catch! They haven't been handled because of the little coop. They also have never really flown, so I hope they fly up on the perches. However, Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Sheba didn't seem too traumatized and promptly attacked their food.

So, without further ado... here are my girls (I hope...we're starting to question Miney's sexuality) in their new home. Let me know if I've missed anything important!
20221010_184650.jpg

20221010_184309.jpg

20221010_184640.jpg

Last edited:
Looks roomy. Is that in a barn/shed?

Good looking birds!
Yes. It's a 10x25 shed. The coop is about 7x7, so 49 square feet. Big for 4 hens, but we figured bigger was better. Since our run won't be covered I decided being able to stay in with lots of rain and snow (not that we get much snow) wouldn't be a bad thing.

And thank you! As i understand it, they're mutt-chickens, lol. The farmer we got them from had lots of no particular breed.

Much like us, they have the bare necessities. After a very late start today, the window, pop door, and one roof vent was done. We plan another window on the other side of the shed and more roof vents, though I do think there's adequate ventilation now. We'll likely have to redo the pop door. The bedding isn't as planned. Way too much straw and not enough pine shavings. I'd planned a more layered deep bedding... but it'll have to do. Got to do nest boxes soon...but no one's laying yet.
View attachment 3287343
Little beggers were surprisingly hard to catch! They haven't been handled because of the little coop. They also have never really flown, so I hope they fly up on the perches. However, Eenie, Meenie, Miney, and Sheba didn't seem too traumatized and promptly attacked their food.

So, without further ado... here are my girls (I hope...we're starting to question Miney's sexuality) in their new home. Let me know if I've missed anything important!
View attachment 3287339
View attachment 3287344
View attachment 3287345
What a thoughtful design! Good work!

Back
Top Bottom