taming feral rooster

welasharon

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
North Florida
Anyone with experience getting a feral rooster used to roosting in a pen? There is a feral rooster that has been hanging around here with my hens since his last two went missing. I was wondering about how long I would need to pen him up in the pen to get him to return to it instead of the pines at the edge of the property. I worry about him being up there in the rain storms we have, not to mention the lightening. He was limping last week and I caught him and penned him up two nights but soon as it started getting dark he took off the third night. His leg was better and he could get over the fence with no problem.
sharon

Pen him for a couple weeks, and try hand feeding him treats everyday. Get him on a schedule. When you do.start letting him out, do it in an enclosed run or under supervision. That way if he tries to run off, you can catch him up and put him back in his cage. After he gets used to you and the treats you share with him, he'll probably be following you around all the time. Good luck!

What she said^ give him treats and do stuff so he will like you, also if you can, get a chair and just sit there with him so he can get used to you Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

He lets me near him but doesn't let me pick him up. I caught him with a fish net and he let me hold him and pet him once I got him out of the net. I will try to keep him penned up for a bit then. He stays inside the picket fence taking care of the girls during the day but come dusk he starts heading out.
sharon

A week or two confined to whatever roosting arrangements you have in mind should be adequate. Getting him tame enough to handle should not be a requirement for success. If further taming still desired, then I suggest meal worms as treat to entice him to eat from your hands. If significant game is in his background, then getting him to point where he will allow handling will be quickly realized over just a few days. Avoid grabbing him by legs or neck, rather gently swoop by entire body.

I`ve gotta tell ya that I`ve had gamefowl, male and female, that couldn`t be persuaded to roost in a coop. Even after months of confinement, they still went back to the trees. It`s an individual thing. Good luck......Pop

That is what I fear Pop. I don't necessarily want him tame. I just want him to roost in the pen with the others. Somehow he hurt his leg the other day and could not roost so I caught him and put him in a pen on his own. After a couple flys at the side he settled in but he was happy to get out the next morning. Two nights I caught him and put him in. The third night he made it over the fence before I got home. I feel he'll live longer if he is not exposed to the weather at night as he ages. I'm gonna give it a shot and see. At least I will have tried.

sharon

Quote:
You`re a kind soul, Sharon. Doesn`t hurt to try for a couple months, but should he be one who won`t adapt, don`t worry about it. Chickens have been roosting in trees for centuries. The problem isn`t the weather, it`s owls and coons. Good luck with your project.......Pop

I manipulate where my free-ranging games roost enough that if they are prone go back to trees, especially during warm months, then I effort to increase ventilation of coop/roost. They may also desire more open escape route in event they need to bolt.

Back
Top Bottom