Tell me about Bantam egg laying, please

Bantams are suitable for smaller backyards as they do not need as much space as other breeds. Bantam hens are also used as laying hens, with some breeds laying up to 150 eggs per year[2]. However, Bantam eggs are only about one-half to one-third the size of a regular hen egg. The Bantam chicken eats the same foods as a normal chicken. In commercial situations they are fed grain based foods because this is convenient and efficient for the producer. Chickens in the wild eat more insects and vegetation than grains.
Bantams have become increasingly popular as pets as well as for show purposes because they are smaller and have more varied and exotic colors and feather patterns than other chickens. Breeds such as the Sebright, Dutch, and Pekin are particularly popular show birds, and true bantams.

My swwet little silkie, Blanch started laying this week (8 1/2 months old) I got 5 silkies and ended up with only one hen.
She gave me 5 beautiful eggs this week. I was surprised how big they were. So proud of her. Now how do I teach her to lay them in the box instead of on the floor of the coop?
Just put a couple of dummy eggs where you want her to lay. You can use the little plastic ones from Easter. That's how I taught my girls...
thumbsup.gif

My bantam just started laying two months ago and this week laid 6 days out of 7. Today she gave us a normal egg and a shell less egg.

ok, wow! that may be a bit harsh al6517.. I am new to Bantams chickens and just yesterday took 3 babies from an animal hoarder (not sure what breed yet, just have 3 small chicks).. she had good intentions, but way too many pets. So, it sounds to me as if you are saying that I am worthless because I own an animal that isn't going to produce for me, because I decided to save them from a not so great situation.. (so I can assume from that statement you've never had a pet dog, cat or even a hamster).....
Hmmmmmmm.... That sounds a bit like ignorance to me... Just sayin - To each his own friend.. Someone doesn't need to be labeled as worthless because of a pet chicken....

And Nigellas... as for not doing all the research, it happens to us all one way or another.. Look at it as lesson learned.. I know it is an investment, but you can keep those little guys as pets and use them as a learning tool. Maybe get some Americana's.. they are good layers.. and some are just the sweetest little things..

Back
Top Bottom