Tell me about how your Cochins lay

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I have a 10 month old standard (not bantam) Cochin pullet who has yet to produce her first egg. Has your experience with Cochins been that they start egg laying much later than other breeds? Once they start, how many eggs a week do you get from your Cochins and what color are their eggs?

Thanks!

I have a 10 month old standard (not bantam) Cochin pullet who has yet to produce her first egg. Has your experience with Cochins been that they start egg laying much later than other breeds? Once they start, how many eggs a week do you get from your Cochins and what color are their eggs?

Thanks!
Howdy! I have never had a standard cochin, but my bantam cochins started laying about 8 months. Their eggs are a light brown and more rounded on the ends than other eggs. They lay about 3 - 4 eggs a week. They lay a little better in cold weather than some of my other breeds.

They are bums. :) They lay best during early spring into early summer. They go broody often and generally take breaks. They are late starters. The plus side is they are friendly calm birds that make wonderful mothers. I would not rely on them solely for eggs.

I have 4 standard cochins that are also about 10 months old. One started to lay in the late fall. Then when winter started she went down to 1 or 2 eggs a week. Now this week I suddenly got 10 eggs. I have never had cochins before but figured since they are such large birds that they might mature later than others.

Back
Top Bottom