Tell me if you think my waterer will work, please!

10AcreChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Missouri
So we constructed a waterer heater, using the concrete block/lightbulb idea. We actually made two of them. My husband is a pretty good electrician, so he wired in two lights in a row, both inside concrete block halves. Here's what it looks like (I'm not a very good artist):

upload_2017-11-20_16-7-26.png

So, what is worrying me is that I am using 60W bulbs, and after all the wiring, they are only like an inch away from the bottom of the buckets. Is it going to be too hot? I could use 40W bulbs, I'm just concerned with it melting the bottom of the buckets. I would like to not have to put anything between the concrete blocks and the bucket bottoms, because I am already squeezed for vertical space as it is, fit just barely underneath my nesting boxes. What do you all think?

I actually haven't tested it out yet, for several reasons. One, it has not gotten cold enough here in Missouri to even need to use it. Two, the real test will be how hot it gets when the buckets are EMPTY and don't have water in them for heat sinks. Cuase at some point I WILL forget to fill them until they are almost empty. So I'm waiting for the chickens to drink all the water in them first.

I was just wondering if anyone had constructed these heaters with the bulb this close to the bucket.

I have a bit of experience I will share with you. In my signature, you will find my solution for keeping water liquid during subfreezing temperatures. I have been doing so for quite a few years. That said, I have experimented extensively, using several methods and materials.

First off, I would not recommend using plastic over your heating source. The issue I had was not the heat melting the plastic, but the plastic rapidly degrading. It prematurely became brittle and cracked… sooner than I would have expected, I am assuming it was due to the frequent cold / hot cycling from the heat source. It also could have been due to the specific type of plastic I was subjecting. Personally, I would not risk it.

Secondly, your simple design is subject to failure if you are using a household bulb. When you lift or remove your buckets, should a drop of water fall upon your bulb, it will shatter. Trust me when I advise you, it will shatter and it will happen no matter how careful you are… the bottom of you bucket will form condensation and drip on the bulb.

Hope this helps.

That's a good point about the bottom of the bucket forming condensation. That could happen initially right after I refill the buckets with cold well water.

I will not be removing the buckets to fill them, rather I will pour water into them. And they, being square, form a nice neat cap over the cinder blocks, so no water spilled would go onto the electrical. So condensation would be the only way for water to get down there.

My light will not be cycling on and off, rather I will use a low enough heat to leave it on through the winter. This is why I think 60W is overdoing it (bought some 40W at the store the other day). That being said, I think I am going to have to think of something to put between the buckets and the light, because I also am worried about melting the plastic or degrading it. Which sucks, because I can't think of anything that won't steal too much heat, someone used a ceramic tile but said their water froze and it didn't work. Hmm...

I will look at what you are using, but I am determined to make this work, hubby worked hard on it! I haven't even tested it yet, so who knows?

Back
Top Bottom