Tempers are starting to flare

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I have about 50 chickens in a 12 x 12 coop. ( I know I know keep reading) I'll eventually eat that number down to about 25. The problem is I NEVER planned to keep them in the coop 24-7. They have access to a 2500 square foot run all day. But due to a serious buffalo gnat problem they refuse to leave the coop. As you can imagine they are getting tired of looking at each other. I don't know what to do. I've tried shooing them out, only to have them swarmed by gnats. If I leave the pop door open they RUN back in after only a few minutes, snorting, scratching and shaking their heads.

Is there something I can do to keep them entertained? Maybe a big screen playing Chicken little?
tongue.png

Oh and I've lived in Iowa long enough (and have dealt with these gnats every spring) to know there is nothing that can be done to get rid of the gnats. It's just the price you pay to live in a utopia like Iowa
roll.png

Perhaps hang a few heads of cabbage or lettuce?

We have gnats here too, but apparently not as many!

You could try putting out several Flock Blocks for them. My chickens are on their second one and it's amazing how much entertainment those blocks can be!
wink.png

Can the gnats get through window screening? If not I would think about making a "screen room" for them. Even if it is 10x10, it would give them a bit of a chance to get out.... It won't take long, before they really start picking at each other...I had the same problem in winter, with overcrowding- who knew they would hate snow? I built a quick "window room" and it really helped a lot. Good luck!

Quote:
I hadn't heard of that product. Just googled it. I think our chickens would love one of those next winter. Thanks.
smile.png

I might try an enclosure just to get them out.

These aren't just gnats. If you are unfamiliar with Buffalo Gnats, they are vicious blood suckers. Left unattended they can kill young chickens. In a bad year like this year they can kill adult chickens in only a few minutes. They bites are so traumatizing larger birds can die of shock, younger birds from blood loss. These things are from another planet. I have 3 inch diameter welts raised 1/2 inch on my arms from them.

Head over to Pests and Predators, there have been a few discussions about them.

Quote:
Don't forget the popcorn, Chicken Little would be a good choice, would have to seriously think on showing Chicken Run though. Too many bright ideas there.

Quote:
I hadn't heard of that product. Just googled it. I think our chickens would love one of those next winter. Thanks.
smile.png

They really are neat and last a long time!

~A screened in enclosure would be a great idea if you can manage it Clay. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with these pests here. Sorry for you and everyone else who is having to.

Quote:
Oh the Buffalo gnats are horrid here too (Central Illinois). I have been sick now twice this year because of them, I am allergic to them lucky me, so I too have kept my chickens and ducks inside allot more than I was hoping. Then just when you think it is safe they start swarming all over again. Now I have big welts and swell massively and they make me physically sick. Ist time this year got bit on my neck below my ear and the whole right side of my face swelled up and I was sicker than a dog.
So I wont let my babies out when they are bad.

Back
Top Bottom