Texas

the gender determination behave your idea has bee passed down through my family. we flip them on their backs and supposedly if it kicks and gets annoyed then porabably a male f it just lies there then it may be a female, this hasn't always been right especially with flightly or skiddish birds or breeds I also add that with how they stand as they age, taller with chest out usually a male and kinda slouched is usually female, hope it works as well for you as its worked for me!
Ok, that follows with some things we've observed. What you said about the stance, chest etc of a roo. We also notice what we call "hen butt" rounder and fuller than a roo.
Thought we were pretty accurate and then one threw us a curve...thought for sure this bird was a pullet at four months, even posted a pic and others thought it was a pullet too, then seemingly over night blossomed into this handsome roo. Yet my leghorns, we knew at 4 weeks which were roos, their combs and body structure were unmistakable. Does the flipping behavior follow as they grow or only with a chick?

I sell my extra eggs for $3 here in dry west texas. I have started attending a new church and am not that familiar with pastor or his family. I took 2 18 packs to the pastors wife sunday. In our conversation she told me they have 7 children. Well, my meager gift may only be one breakfast!!!!!!
That's one breakfast she didn't have to worry about getting! Way more nutritious than her regular eggs I'm sure.

Quote:
I think the price you can get for them depends on what market you are targeting.

I am thinning down my herd of Seramas if anyone is interested...I have a great rooster and several proven hens that I will be up for sale when the weather turns in October...unless someone is close to central Texas and wants to pick them up...a fair price will be ask.

Even with only 5 hens (4 of whom are laying daily), we've found ourselves in over our heads with eggs.
ep.gif
We've been giving extras away, but we can't give 'em away fast enough (I don't normally bake, and we don't eat very many eggs ourselves)...so I decided to sell the rest, and I've already got a couple of buyers. It's amazing how much people will pay for "farm" fresh eggs.
cool.png
Once we get the other 5 pullets (and they start laying eggs) we'll be in the money! Ha-ha! My husband loves this chickens already, but the prospect of making any sort of money for their extra eggs makes the whole deal that much sweeter.
thumbsup.gif

I'm looking forward to this sort of thing, too--it's still a few months off before even my oldest pullet (about 6-7 weeks older than the other pullets) starts to lay, but I've been wondering what we'll do with the eggs if we really start to get enough from them that we can't eat them all. Good to know it's not too hard to find a buyer!
Backyard eggs usually have the major brands beat by a mile.

My husband keeps having to remind me that he doesn't like eggs, most of the time. I'm hoping that he'll like them more when they're fresh and healthy!

I am thinning down my herd of Seramas if anyone is interested...I have a great rooster and several proven hens that I will be up for sale when the weather turns in October...unless someone is close to central Texas and wants to pick them up...a fair price will be ask.

I SO want a couple Seramas to be my daughters' "pet" chickens, but we're not supposed to have roosters at all and I haven't been sure how that would work out. (we have one cockerel now that we'll have to get rid of soon, either by eating him or giving him away to be eaten...) In my imagination, Serama roosters can't be as loud as bigger birds just because they are smaller... but I don't really believe what my imagination keeps trying to tell me.

I'm looking forward to this sort of thing, too--it's still a few months off before even my oldest pullet (about 6-7 weeks older than the other pullets) starts to lay, but I've been wondering what we'll do with the eggs if we really start to get enough from them that we can't eat them all. Good to know it's not too hard to find a buyer!

My husband keeps having to remind me that he doesn't like eggs, most of the time. I'm hoping that he'll like them more when they're fresh and healthy!
You really can taste the difference! :)
I like eggs, but was never a huge egg person. My kids love them though which is what started me on the chicken path
wink.png

Now one of my favorite breakfasts is a fresh poached or fried egg on a nice piece of toast!
I can wait to make Eggs Benedict with them...yum!

In a market like Austin I can see where you can get $6 for chicken eggs. But out here, people just won't pay it. Once I get them trained to eat and love duck eggs, I will try to raise the price to $5.
Wish you were closer, I'd love some!
We don't have the space for a duck or two now..but I would love their eggs, even just for cooking/baking...
All the ideas are swirling around in my head now lol.

I don't think many people have them around me...
Maybe when we get to a bigger place :)

Back
Top Bottom