Texas

I understand that. I am talking about the supermarket mess that is injected with saline to make it appear plumper. Not to mention it has been fed arsenic to keep it from dying after being force fed. to make its breast larger. Rubbing down the meat or using herbs and spices, or cooking it with lemon in the cavity isn't bad. I just prefer to have my own eggs and my own meat that I know what went into it. Once finances stabilize, I plan on high fencing the side hard and either putting boar goats or hairless sheep, so I can butcher them and know where my other meat comes from. I try to hunt every year, so I know where my deer meat comes from. I have no love for the industrial method of ranching/farming. The USDA lets the big boys get away with putting garbage in the system you wouldn't catch them eating, not to mention all the meat recalls. I want to know where my meat comes from, and I am guess you and most of us do too.

That is why I mentioned the saline injected supermarket meat. Your method of tenderizing yard bird makes sense. I may just try it.
Right there with ya! Much better to know what went into that food when you raise it yourself. Our goal is to be self-sufficient. Not quite there yet with the chicken meat, since we eat more chicken than anything, but we're working on it.

I usually wait at least 24 hours after butchering before I do anything with a bird whether it's freezing it or brining for roasting, to let the muscles go into and out of rigor mortis. I love to brine and get the different flavor combos into the meat. And then when I cook the roasted carcass remains to make chicken stock, the stock has even more flavor to it.

Right there with ya! Much better to know what went into that food when you raise it yourself. Our goal is to be self-sufficient. Not quite there yet with the chicken meat, since we eat more chicken than anything, but we're working on it.

I usually wait at least 24 hours after butchering before I do anything with a bird whether it's freezing it or brining for roasting, to let the muscles go into and out of rigor mortis. I love to brine and get the different flavor combos into the meat. And then when I cook the roasted carcass remains to make chicken stock, the stock has even more flavor to it.
I hear you. I have some young fruit trees, and when the squirrels don't try to take it, I end up with some. I plan on some raised gardens, and latter a high fence and leanto for either goats or hairless sheep. So, I understand your need to be self-sufficient. I remember my grandfather sitting on his dairy ranch/farm and looking across the table with pride and said, "Everything on this table came from this farm." I don't have nearly the acreage he had by a long shot, but I can micro-farm. You can do a lot with 1.5 to 2 acres than most people would imagine.

Everybody okay down south? We who are up farther north are keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for checking. We are ok here just SE of ABIA. 14 inches+ there. @dorothy72 are you OK there? I know your area got a lot also. It's amazing all of the major highways that flooded... I-35 and hwy 183. Prayers for all.

I scald so my chicken plucker than get the majority of the feathers off, so I can start butchering quicker.

We don't have the room for a plucker, I do it by hand. Scalding helps A LOT for me, I tried it once without scalding and the bird had to be skinned.

I hear you. I have some young fruit trees, and when the squirrels don't try to take it, I end up with some. I plan on some raised gardens, and latter a high fence and leanto for either goats or hairless sheep. So, I understand your need to be self-sufficient. I remember my grandfather sitting on his dairy ranch/farm and looking across the table with pride and said, "Everything on this table came from this farm." I don't have nearly the acreage he had by a long shot, but I can micro-farm. You can do a lot with 1.5 to 2 acres than most people would imagine.
What kind of goats? Full-size or miniatures? And I agree with the remark on acreage, people are astounded how much I fit into our tiny land allotment.

We don't have the room for a plucker, I do it by hand. Scalding helps A LOT for me, I tried it once without scalding and the bird had to be skinned.

What kind of goats? Full-size or miniatures? And I agree with the remark on acreage, people are astounded how much I fit into our tiny land allotment.
Micro-Farming is slowly underway with my wife kicking a screaming along the way. I have found with darker colored birds, no matter what you do, you just can't seem to get them all. I skinned most of them today. I butchered two of my "inferior" Black Copper Maran Roosters. Two more to go, and three to breed on. Seven Black Copper Maran Roosters for my hen flock was pretty ridiculous. That and the fighting got out of hand. So, four were chosen for disposition, size and flaw for culling. One made the crock pot, the other is in the refrigerator. If I get goats, I want boars, so I can butcher the males. If I stick with hair sheep, the rams. Either way, since I am next to a busy FM, high fencing is a must.

Micro-Farming is slowly underway with my wife kicking a screaming along the way. I have found with darker colored birds, no matter what you do, you just can't seem to get them all. I skinned most of them today. I butchered two of my "inferior" Black Copper Maran Roosters. Two more to go, and three to breed on. Seven Black Copper Maran Roosters for my hen flock was pretty ridiculous. That and the fighting got out of hand. So, four were chosen for disposition, size and flaw for culling. One made the crock pot, the other is in the refrigerator. If I get goats, I want boars, so I can butcher the males. If I stick with hair sheep, the rams. Either way, since I am next to a busy FM, high fencing is a must.
I was thinking of getting either goats or a couple cows when we move to a house. I'm looking at nigerian dwarf goats for goats.

Back
Top Bottom