Texas

Trust me, I know how it is out there. I grew up in Stamford, then graham before I got my degree at ACU in 2009. I still bring kids to camp there every summer. The place was a sea of yellow last summer. I bet one big windstorm carried all the dead plants off

Hey Y'all! I haven't been on in a couple of days -- been very busy and also dealing with family drama :(

TSC in Livingston doesn't have chicks yet. I was told chicks would come in tomorrow. However, Lone Star Feed has Americauanas and black sex-links.

AmyLM, that is too funny about your husband! I haven my co-workers all wanting to know about chickens. Some still don't understand that I can have eggs without a roo :)

Texaschickmom, that is an AWESOME coop!!!

Tx812, welcome!! This is an awesome site.

Henry! Congrats on the eggs!! I agree with Shesaredraon, you'll never want store bought again. All my co-workers were very disappointed when I lost so many hens two week ago to a dog attack. They were definitely grumpy that they would have to go back to store bought.

AuntGoose, that is an awesome idea for a coop!! The cat looks pretty happy too :)

If I missed anyone sorry - there have been quite a few posts in the last couple of days - which, of course, is a good thing :) Thank you everyone for the comments about the loss of my birds - they did make me feel better. Here's what has also made me feel better - looked what hatched at my house Tuesday!!! The Chunky Dunk's very first hatched chick!!!

Also, I'm very excited about the show on the 10th in New Braunsfels. I plan on buying quite a few new birds to add to my flock - I plan on buying several Marans and hopefully a few others! There's also a show in LaGrange this Saturday if anyone wants to go take a look-see.

Thanks Vickir73! That is Mama Dirt. Usually her two boys, Kmart and Walmart, are standing sentry duty with her, but they were off galavanting next door. They like teasing the neighbor dog. Silly kittehs.

ya.gif
Congrats on that beautiful baby!
woot.gif

Welcome back, Vicki!
frow.gif
Good to get caught up with you and LOVE that little chick. I've got 13 of my own in the Hovabator right now in lockdown. Wish I was closer to those shows 'cuz I'd be there, believe me!

Howdy my fellow Texans!
I just wanted to share this here in case some of you all might be interested in attending.
It is a great show and is open to the public. :)
Amy
FANCY FEATHERS 4H 5th Annual Open Chicken Show

Sat, March 10, 2012 @ Comal County Fairgrounds, New Braunfels, Texas

http://www.fancyfeatherstx.org/open-chicken-show.html

Featuring:
APA/ABA Sanctioned Show - Backyard Show - Junior Show
Serama Show - 1st Table-top show in Texas!
Egg Show - Youth Showmanship - Cluck-off
Raffle - Silent Auction - Concessions

Judges:
APA/ABA/Junior: Monty Fitzgerald/ Steve Jones
Backyard: Eddie Stoehr
Youth Showmanship: Eddie Stoehr
Serama: Scott Thompson
Cluck-off: Mike Bond

Guys, I need some help. Chicks came into work yesterday, and ALL of the white plymouth rocks that came in ended up dead. All but one little trooper. A few drowned in the water bucket after I corrected the heat lamps ( they were literally cooking the poor babies. 120 inside the bins! YIKES! Well, I brought home the little survivor. I have him in a box inside the pen with my week old chicks. I know they only died because they cooked, literally. After I turned the lamps off to let it cool down we were able to save about 8 of them. I cooled them down and gave them water, which they immediately drowned in. Trampled each other in their desperation to drink it. I was totally upset, but no one seems to get it at work. Anywhome, I have this little peeper in my lap currently because my week olds keep trying to kill it. They keep clambering up into the box and pecking at the little guy.

I wont be able to find my other chick pen until the morning, as the barn doesn't have any light and all my flashlights are in the barn currently. I can't sleep with the chick ( I would if I could... ), and I can't put him in with the 8 week olds either. That would end in destruction. SO.

Put him back in the box, and try to barracade him in? Pray the week old babies don't finish him off before morning?
OR
Put the box on top of the pen and pray the cats don't eat him?

But also! Does anyone want a white plymouth rock? I REALLY don't need to add another breed to my flock. And we all know you can't have just ONE of something.
th.gif

Wait, I lied, seven of the babies survived. A friend of mine bought six this morning, they survived. The other chicks dropped like flies. This little trooper is a survivor.

Anyways.
Yeah.
If Anna (chihuahua) wouldn't eat the baby, I'd put the box in my bed under my blankets....
hide.gif

Suggestions?
Should I just go clamber around in the dark and find the other pen?

That absolutely sucks. Glad you rescued one, but wish it hadn't happened at all. Is there a way for you to quarantine that one into a corner or something of your brooder? That would keep him warm and not allow the other week-olds to get to him. Just an idea.

About five minutes ago, after holding him and trying to figure out what to do with him, I scrambled out into the dark. He's now set up in my quarantine pen on top of the other brooder. He's got a stuffed animal friend to keep him quiet. ( Or her... ) Praying the little peeper makes it through the night.

chick count up to 5!!!!
ya.gif
Will be at the show on the 10th!! Anyone have any idea what time the fun starts? This will be my first show (I'm only going as a spectator and to buy more babies :) but I'd like to get there as early as possible.

Yea! The show starts at 10am. I will see if I can get a copy of the agenda that lists the times of the various events happening at the show... I will post it here.
My son and I will be working in the Silent Auction / Raffle area... come by and say hi if you can.
Amy :)

chick count up to 5!!!!
ya.gif
Will be at the show on the 10th!! Anyone have any idea what time the fun starts? This will be my first show (I'm only going as a spectator and to buy more babies :) but I'd like to get there as early as possible.

Back
Top Bottom