Théo and the chickens des Sauches

I know you searched for info on Dutch bantams. So did I , in English, this evening. And I was surprised how different the informations is in a few English sites and the en-Wiki.

This is extra info from a Dutch site (levende have):
DUTCH BANTAM
The Dutch bantams are descended from the farmer's bantams that used to roam freely in the yard. They often slept in open sheds, in trees and bushes. Only the strongest bantams survived and reproduced.

This origin has played tricks on Dutch bantams for a long time. They were considered too ordinary. Neither the breed nor its predecessors appeared in paintings. The Dutch Chicken Club even managed to issue negative breeding advice at the beginning of the last century: they stood too high on the legs, were too slim, and the earlobes had turned red over time, while they were white. should be, according to the experts at the time.
C. van Gink, the well-known writer on poultry breeds and illustrator of many standard images, was visited in the summer of 1911 by the well-known American poultry illustrator A.O. Schilling. On that occasion he commented about the partridge-coloured Dutch bantams: "They are beautifully colored bantams, but they will not soon become popular outside Holland, as they are too similar to ordinary farm bantams due to the lack of eye-catching breed characteristics."
Van Gink regarded the American's comment as a challenge. He put his ideal image of the Dutch bantam on paper and in his stories and publications he indicated how that image could be met.

Breeders started working with no more than half a dozen animals. They tried to hatch bantams with blue legs, white ears, and a rich tail with well-curved head sickles. Only after the Second World War did the image drawn by Van Gink come to life and the Dutch bantams began to look as the “master” had in mind.
The Dutch bantam has now conquered the world. The breed found followers in many European countries, as well as in the United States, South Africa and many other countries. Nowadays one finds long rows of cages with Dutch bantams at the major German shows. Despite all the tinkering with the appearance of the Dutch bantam, the breed does not deny its origins. Genetic research shows that the characteristics of Dutch bantams belong in the same category as the Drenthe, the Frisian Hoen and the other old Dutch landraces.
They are still very vital, fertile, not very susceptible to diseases and not shy. In short, a breed that appeals to many people, not least because of the wide choice of more than twenty color varieties. The oldest color variety – partridge – still has the largest following. It is striking that broodiness in hens can differ per color and strain. This also applies to the number of eggs a hen lays.
This often depends on the breeder. What does he or she select based on; egg production or show quality? It is therefore wise to first choose a color and then contact the Dutch bantam breeders. There they can tell you which breeder has the best laying strain.

Here most often dogs live with the chickens and the Border collies and Crau shepherds guard and herd the chickens like they would do with the sheeps.
Shepherd dogs are very different in behavior with livestock than the dogs people have been breeding for hunting (in general). A dogs behavior (being trustworthy or not) is also upbringing and training.

Just a stupid fact: Last week a single dog killed (indirectly) 9 sheep and wounded 7 more. This happened in the south of our country, and very often it's not even allowed to kill the dog or get paid for the material damage. This only can be done if you have clear proof and the police is cooperating. https://www.hetschaap.nl/hond-doodt-9-schapen/
We ended up having quite a lot of rain yesterday night,
We had a horrible day too. Drizzle and rain all day. Not a fun day for the chickens. The keepers both had to 'work' away from home whole day. The chickens only had one hour to free range.

Maybe they don't trust Pied Beau to keep them safe ?
If Pied Beau is still a teenager, you can’t expect him to act like a rooster. He’s watching and learning from Theo what he’s supposed to do. 😁

Anyway, I thought her feet looked slightly better, less swollen. I hope it's finally going to make some progress 🤞.
I keep my fingers crossed for you too.

I know you searched for info on Dutch bantams. So did I , in English, this evening. And I was surprised how different the informations is in a few English sites and the en-Wiki.

This is extra info from a Dutch site (levende have):
DUTCH BANTAM
The Dutch bantams are descended from the farmer's bantams that used to roam freely in the yard. They often slept in open sheds, in trees and bushes. Only the strongest bantams survived and reproduced.

This origin has played tricks on Dutch bantams for a long time. They were considered too ordinary. Neither the breed nor its predecessors appeared in paintings. The Dutch Chicken Club even managed to issue negative breeding advice at the beginning of the last century: they stood too high on the legs, were too slim, and the earlobes had turned red over time, while they were white. should be, according to the experts at the time.
C. van Gink, the well-known writer on poultry breeds and illustrator of many standard images, was visited in the summer of 1911 by the well-known American poultry illustrator A.O. Schilling. On that occasion he commented about the partridge-coloured Dutch bantams: "They are beautifully colored bantams, but they will not soon become popular outside Holland, as they are too similar to ordinary farm bantams due to the lack of eye-catching breed characteristics."
Van Gink regarded the American's comment as a challenge. He put his ideal image of the Dutch bantam on paper and in his stories and publications he indicated how that image could be met.

Breeders started working with no more than half a dozen animals. They tried to hatch bantams with blue legs, white ears, and a rich tail with well-curved head sickles. Only after the Second World War did the image drawn by Van Gink come to life and the Dutch bantams began to look as the “master” had in mind.
The Dutch bantam has now conquered the world. The breed found followers in many European countries, as well as in the United States, South Africa and many other countries. Nowadays one finds long rows of cages with Dutch bantams at the major German shows. Despite all the tinkering with the appearance of the Dutch bantam, the breed does not deny its origins. Genetic research shows that the characteristics of Dutch bantams belong in the same category as the Drenthe, the Frisian Hoen and the other old Dutch landraces.
They are still very vital, fertile, not very susceptible to diseases and not shy. In short, a breed that appeals to many people, not least because of the wide choice of more than twenty color varieties. The oldest color variety – partridge – still has the largest following. It is striking that broodiness in hens can differ per color and strain. This also applies to the number of eggs a hen lays.
This often depends on the breeder. What does he or she select based on; egg production or show quality? It is therefore wise to first choose a color and then contact the Dutch bantam breeders. There they can tell you which breeder has the best laying strain.
No, I did not find those informations, thank you for sharing. So, it's a re-created breed, but the work on it began quite early. It's incredible that in spite of beginning with such a small number of bird, and aiming for form, the breeders managed to maintain the same hardiness that the breed had historically. Maybe they bred for longevity as well as for colour, SOP, and laying.
Also I'm interested by this notion of farm bantams that are very common and of no breed, because it's similar to what we have in my region. The farmers keep bantams to be broodies and have done so for a long time but they have no specific breed. Maybe there is a notion of landrace but I haven't found any information on that.
Most of the French bantam breeds were recreated much later, after the 70s, and they are still so rare that I would be weary of their fragility. It's only in the north of France that they seem to have been keeping bantam breeds and setting standards for longer, maybe it's the belgian influence, the french northern game bantam, the pictave, the ardennaise which is actually belgian like the fries 🤣.

It rained 15 ml yesterday and during the night, and it was raining again this morning. I told the chickens it was good for the land and they said they had enough. It stopped toward lunch and then the wind rose and chased the clouds away. It was good to have all that rain, we definitely needed it.

Most of the chickens had a good day, especially once it stopped. They spent a lot of time foraging and also dustbathing as they could in the wet earth. When it's raining, some can dustbathe in the run and some do it in the coop, but not all the chickens manage to, and it's obvious they don't enjoy it like they do outside. This may be why I found a bunch of louse on Kara today for the first time 😱. Or maybe I just didn't see them before because lice are hard to spot on black feathers. Anyway I applied neem oil on her (didn't want to use the liquid spray just before she dust bathed) and i’ll rotate spray and powder in the next days.

Today the pullets went a bit in the garden with Pied Beau, though they were quick enough to come back in. He chases them, but not to mate - just to bump them ! I’m now seeing two pairs : the black pullets, Lulu and Melisse, stay more together, and the chickens with the markings (what is it called ?) Annette and Laure on the other side. However at roost time it's everyone for himself only and they all try to throw their neighbour out of the roost! It was rather painful to watch and when I closed the coop it wasn't over. They go to bed early because they've gotten used to the rotten weather, at 6.45, and then they spend 45 minutes fighting and jumping down and back up.

Lilly looked like she wasn't doing too good today. She’s one of the chickens who still has the tapeworms segments wiggling in her poop, so it could be that. I will try to weigh her again tomorrow to make sure she’s not loosing weight.

Foggy damp morning
IMG_20230922_075203.jpg
IMG_20230922_091807.jpg
IMG_20230922_091739.jpg
IMG_20230922_095649.jpg
IMG_20230922_112928.jpg

Merle and Piou-piou sharing the only dry barrel while Théo watches.
IMG_20230922_123752.jpg
IMG_20230922_144501.jpg
IMG_20230922_125100.jpg

Mélisse
IMG_20230922_134113.jpg

Théo and Piou-piou 🥰
IMG_20230922_135218.jpg
IMG_20230922_140458.jpg
IMG_20230922_140533.jpg

Cannelle cleaning up. Pin feathers coming in on her neck.
IMG_20230922_141342.jpg
IMG_20230922_141456.jpg
IMG_20230922_141547.jpg
IMG_20230922_141553.jpg
IMG_20230922_145405.jpg
IMG_20230922_145604.jpg
IMG_20230922_163137.jpg

This is the spot the boar dug out, the courgette plants have almost totally disappeared buried under wet earth.
IMG_20230922_163340.jpg

IMG_20230922_163411.jpg
IMG_20230922_163455.jpg
IMG_20230922_163501.jpg
IMG_20230922_163505.jpg

IMG_20230922_112916.jpg

IMG_20230922_112937.jpg

Pied Beau 's flashy colours make me think of this song.

That was a very serious performance of a very amusing song! Loved it! I see the connection between performer and rooster 😹
True, I was thinking of the lyrics but she has the same flashy disco colours. Like a mix of Bjork and Saturday night fever.
is it mottling? or a variety of barring or pencilling? Can you get a close up of them?
I will try to tomorrow. I have seen pictures illustrating both I think it was on MJ's thread but still not able to tell what they are 😊.

Didn't spend a lot of time with the chickens today, but I did see they all enjoyed the sunshine and nice weather. Théo had a whole gang with him in the garden : Piou-piou, Merle, Léa, and some of the younger pullets! Gaston will soon be jealous.
I weighed Merle today, 1,2kg , Piou-piou is the same, and Lilly is 2,2kg which means that either she has gained weight or I made a mistake the first time (she was 1,8kg).
Amelia called me about some other stuff, and she said they are delighted with Petit Blanc. He is getting used to them and lets them come close to him. He is mating all of the seven hens. She let him outside yesterday for the first time and it went very well. He crows at 5.30 every morning, probably he can hear Gaston and Pied Beau, they also crowe around that time usually!

My dad's coming for dinner and staying overnight, he’s hiking somewhere near by tomorrow morning with his hiking club ! I’ll try to get a pic of him with the chickens. I spent half the day baking and cleaning all the spider webs 🤣.

Laure ate a tiny snake, that looked a lot like an aspic viper 😱.
IMG_20230923_161625.jpg
IMG_20230923_141332.jpg

Théo had some success with Merle today.
IMG_20230923_141355.jpg

Mottled or pencilled or none of that ?
IMG_20230923_141634.jpg
IMG_20230923_141702.jpg

IMG_20230923_161453.jpg

Lulu is beginning to get a few purple highlights.
IMG_20230923_141730.jpg

Lilly seemed better today. She chased pied Beau throughout the garden, making him run for his life.
IMG_20230923_141746.jpg

IMG_20230923_141748.jpg
IMG_20230923_165228.jpg
IMG_20230923_165434.jpg

IMG_20230923_170056.jpg
IMG_20230923_170059.jpg

Pied Blanc watches Théo tidbitting and then he does the same. It’s hilarious! He just hasn't understood that he is supposed to do it for food, not a twig or a stone 🤣.
IMG_20230923_173934.jpg

It turned out to be very difficult to get a picture of the chickens with my dad- the roosters and the younger pullets were afraid of him ! This is the best we managed with a bribe.
IMG_20230924_073448.jpg

After lunch we had an acquaintance who owns the house above us come for coffee, with his twenty something son. I’ve known and liked the son for quite a while. He’s calm and polite ( much more so than his father). He used to have my brother as a physic teacher when he was in the regional mountain highschool, for kids that are talented in mountain sports ( he is a very good climber) and we took him trail running a few times with us. Anyway, he was totally fascinated by our roosters, and he tried hard and patiently to make friend with all three, with absolutely no success. It's funny because both Gaston and Théo used to be quite calm when they had visitors, but maybe as it's been a while since people came over, they have gotten unused to it. They were not aggressive, just afraid of him, especially Pied Beau who kept squealing whenever he tried to approach him.

On the subject of chicken fright, Laure is becoming abnormally terrified of everything. She’s scared of us, of the other chickens and of just anything. I think it's partly due to the fact that she gets bullied at roost time, but maybe there is something else. Up to now, she was rejected at night, but during the day things were fine ; but now it seems even during the day she is isolating herself. She doesn't have the attitude of a sick chicken , just a permanently very frightened one. We don't know what to do to help her , and we are a bit worried she will get hurt doing something stupid. This afternoon she tried to fly up a wall above the chicken yard and caught herself in the netting.

It was cold again this morning, 7c, but then it got really warm and sunny during the day and it felt like summer again. We did the chickens favourite garden chores : spreading sheep manure in the parts of the garden where we harvested the potatoes. It was a giant worm orgy 🤣.
It's really beginning to look like Théo will get himself a group with the small pullets ! Piou-piou, Merle, and Léa hung out with him most of the day, and Pied beau followed them for a good part of the day as well. He seems fascinated by Théo. I would prefer if he learned his job with Gaston, but he is too afraid of him !

We tried a colloidal dressing on Nieva’s foot for the first time today. I ordered some that can be cut to size. It specified not to use anything under it so we poured betadine in the bath, dried her foot, and applied a small round piece of dressing and vet wrap. I think we will leave it only two days this time, so i’ll report how it looks then.

Pied beau attempted to tidbit for Piou-piou, who told him a bit about life.
IMG_20230924_093831.jpg

Théo came with Merle and Piou-piou to help pick the potatoes. It was the first time ever he ventured that far.
IMG_20230924_094929.jpg
IMG_20230924_102335.jpg
IMG_20230924_102742.jpg

Close up of Annette. I think she is neither pencilled or mottled, according to this page :
https://cluckin.net/chicken-feather...es-pictures-and-video.html#mcetoc_1fr7pobkqln

IMG_20230924_120704.jpg
IMG_20230924_120709.jpg
IMG_20230924_161534.jpg
IMG_20230924_161750.jpg

As close as I could get to Laure
IMG_20230924_162736.jpg

Pied Beau crowes all the time now 🥰.
IMG_20230924_162746.jpg

Mélisse
IMG_20230924_162813.jpg
IMG_20230924_162826.jpg

Léa just before she jumped on
IMG_20230924_163750.jpg
IMG_20230924_165033.jpg

Blanche is obviously not dead yet. She’s not able to come off the roost on her own anymore, but still able to dustbathe and be a bully.
IMG_20230924_165058.jpg
IMG_20230924_165153.jpg
IMG_20230924_170907.jpg

Worm party.
IMG_20230924_173039.jpg

20 mn after all the chickens were roosted Laure was still not able to find a place for her and coming out in the run to eat a bit and have a break. I did some modifications to add more roost space but it doesn't change the problem because no chicken accepts her next to them until it's completely dark. Tomorrow we will add tree trunks to make a third access to the main roost.
IMG_20230924_191011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom