Thank you for having me in your group

Elefreda

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We've had chickens for about 8 years, we started by rehoming 4 and it's grown from there!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

At the moment we have 7 chickens - 5 girls and 2 boys....actually that's not true, we have 12 chickens, 5 chicks hatched last night :)
(3) What breeds do you have?

Up until now it's been all bantams as that's what we rehomed. We have a couple of golden laced Wyandotte girls, a couple of lavender araucana girls and then 2 male pekin bantams and one female.
The eggs we just hatched are cream legbars - or that's what we thought. Now they've hatched I'm not so sure.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I just love seeing them potter around the garden. Although one of our boys doesn't realise that he's a backyard chicken, having been reared during lockdown and doing a lot of homeschooling with the children he thinks he belongs. He's even learned how to come in and use the computer. He does his stompy dance along the keyboard until the computer turns on and then sits and watches YouTube videos!!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I play netball, as family we like to be outdoors and having fun. During lockdown we started moth-trapping to catch, ID and release moths. We live in Gloucestershire, UK and are blessed with some wonderful countryside on our doorstep

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My husband isn't such an animal person. So he wasn't keen on getting chickens, a dog etc but between me and the children persuading and nagging he gave in and now he loves our animal family members as much as me and my two children.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've been checking your forums for little hints and tips at various times over the years. I've finally joined because I need your help sexing me new chicks...look out for me post that I'll be doing soon.

I loved hearing about your techy rooster that runs the computer. How cute! ❤️ Welcome to BYC!
He's a star - even after being in bird flu lockdown over here for months he was straight in the backdoor and on the computer at the first opportunity. He still likes joining the children for online lessons too.
This was him enjoying the Olympics and celebrating a gold medal :)
235168199_10161110864507588_2453544633998962783_n.jpg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It's funny the number of people who say they don't want animals but then once you get them they become more bonded to them than the people who originally wanted them! My father was the same way.
Hubby is now dafter with the animals than I am. They have him wrapped around their little paws / feet / wings / fins!

Back
Top Bottom