Thanks already for your help!

HennyPennyCO

Songster
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone!
Thanks to the folk on the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance forum, especially GeorgiaGail in the "stuck for a kennel run roof" started by ams4766. The detailed photos were just what I needed to see, although GG's in a warmer part of the country than Colorado. Like ams I've got to worry about snow, but thanks to BYC I've got IDEAS now (my husband is afraid of my ideas - they lead to no good, he feels
wink.png
). What else could I do but join you all?

We've moved to suburbia and our local city council is now allowing mini-agricultural pursuits in our suburban backyards. A fortuitous discovery of a new neighbor just putting the old chicken coop out by the street to sell (they were moving up to a bigger coop), combined with the gift of an unused chainlink 7' x 7' dog run led to the purchase of 2 pullets, a New England Red & a Barred Rock.

The coop is sitting inside the dog run, but the run is as yet unroofed. I think protection is fine for the coyotes, foxes and my own dogs, so was primarily worried about raccoons (reason 1) getting in from the top. Then, coincidentally, a back-fence neighbor came to warn me that a hawk (reason 2) had been seen spying on her neighbor's small dogs. (She knew I had a chihuahua or two, but didn't even know about the new chickens.) Yesterday, (the first day of chicken-keeping
big_smile.png
) I let the hens out of their coop to investigate the confines of the dog run, then went inside the house to prepare get more feed. When I came out, they had escaped (reason 3) and were running around the yard pursued by four dogs! Yikes! It all ended well, with the aid of the garden hose to remind the dogs to "leave it".

So, 3 reasons to roof the run. I think the snow protection will wait for later.

Cheers,

Penny

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new flock and coop! Glad the dog encounter ended well, ya, sounds like you got three reasons to roof the run right off!

Welcome to BYC, Penny! Glad you decided to join our flock. I would definitely get a roof on your run. Also, I hope you are using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as many predators can either tear through chicken wire or pass through the openings in the mesh. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm glad the dog encounter went well. Usually it doesn't!
Congrats on your flock!
ya.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, nothing better than knowing your birds are in a secure run! Dogs love to eat chickens, so watch them closely along with all the other predators that love chickens too.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Back
Top Bottom