The Adventure Continues.... 2nd Generation Begins

Rebel58

Songster
Mar 26, 2018
NorthWest PA
I can't believe it's been 2 years since starting this crazy fulfilling adventure. I began in 2018 on here with an incubation project to hatch chicken/guinea eggs. That went so well I decided to begin my dream of raising peacocks for a retirement hobby. Not retired yet but have a great start on the project. I purchased two different batches of peahen eggs from sellers within driving distance. They were hatched in an incubator and I now have four beautiful IB hens, 2 years old in February and a gorgeous 2.5 year old IB/BS male which I purchased 2 months ago from a seller about an hour away.
Transporting him with a 4 foot train by myself wasn't going to be easy but with the help of seller we got him snuggled into the back of my Hummer for the ride home. He watched out the back window while his train kept me company on the console between the front seats. LOL
Train intact, I placed him in quarantine for a few days for obvious reasons. He and the girls seemed anxious to get together.
My oldest hen, Arizona had begun laying eggs the end of February before I purchased Dakota, my male. My other hens, Nevada, Montana and Indiana are a little younger and have not started laying yet.
Within the first week Dakota was strutting his stuff to impress the girls. I began collecting eggs for the incubator to check for fertility. I got such a good deal on the price for Dakota that I was afraid he may be infertile. As you can see from the photos he is not shooting duds!!!
Arizona, as of yet, seems to have no desire to nest as she lays her eggs everywhere in the coop and run. Nesting box is there so I may have to collect them for her and place them in there myself.
And so my second generation has begun.....

I would like to personally thank Bill, the Kansas King of Peafowl, @KsKingBee for so many informative posts in this forum.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    713.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
One word of caution about letting two hens set the same nest. If you can get them to set in separate nests your results will be much better. I have noticed when two hens set in the same nest some of the eggs get ruined because when they divide up the eggs some will not get covered between them and get chilled and die. On the upside, it is fun to watch co-moms raise a brood of chicks.

Thanks for the advice Bill @KsKingBee. I tried to separate the co-mommies early on but they wouldn't have it. Quite aggressive with me.
Of the incubator eggs, I had one egg quit early on, 4 are now in brooder and the last 2 pipped today. Mommies on the nest are not due till the 14th.
IMG_1812.jpg

Back
Top Bottom