The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Oh yes I forgot to mention that the last one was erminette, now another favorite pattern to add to the list! She’s absolutely stunning 😍 I love all of these project colors. Almost all of the accepted and widely available colors of Ameraucanas are solid colors. While I love the solid colors, it would also be very cool to see some more patterns available in one of my top favorite breeds!

Yeah, I think Wheaten (and Blue Wheaten, of course), Brown Red, and Silver are the only non-solid standardized varieties? And of those, the Wheatens are the only really somewhat commonly available ones. Heck, does anyone even work with Brown Reds anymore? You hardly see anything about them anywhere unless it's someone assuming their Easter-egger is a Brown Red because they're brown and red... when Brown Red doesn't even have any brown on it and barely any red. Gotta love those super accurate names in the standard. 🤭

I did see a Light Brown project bantam in show as well, though, which would be a nice variety to standardize, if a bit problematic with the number of EEs who resemble that variety. She was remarkably hard to get a picture of, unfortunately, but she was quite pretty. :love

Ameraucana bantam, light brown.jpg

I got my Mottled from Dennis Heltzel ( Welbars ) who's a member here ... as well as some really nice blacks to improve them. He made clear to me the Motts are still a work in progress and the shanks are not there. Our Mottled cockerel has spotty legs. It's actually really pretty. Clearly there is a dark base.
From reading the Mottled Am thread, I think I'm convinced that a plain slate shank is not possible with the Mottled gene affecting it.

Yeah, I think Wheaten (and Blue Wheaten, of course), Brown Red, and Silver are the only non-solid standardized varieties? And of those, the Wheatens are the only really somewhat commonly available ones. Heck, does anyone even work with Brown Reds anymore? You hardly see anything about them anywhere unless it's someone assuming their Easter-egger is a Brown Red because they're brown and red... when Brown Red doesn't even have any brown on it and barely any red. Gotta love those super accurate names in the standard. 🤭

I did see a Light Brown project bantam in show as well, though, which would be a nice variety to standardize, if a bit problematic with the number of EEs who resemble that variety. She was remarkably hard to get a picture of, unfortunately, but she was quite pretty. :love

View attachment 3201604
I can hardly even find any pictures on google of brown red Ameraucanas! It just shows red chickens and Easter eggers. Actual brown red Ameraucanas are quite pretty, despite the inaccurate name lol. That light brown bantam is adorable, I like the color. You would definitely get lots of people asking if their Easter eggers are light brown Ameraucanas though (just like asking about brown red) since it is so similar to many EE’s!

One of the only pictures of a brown red Ameraucana I found, I really do think they’re quite pretty!
95B197F2-84A4-492E-9E6E-5B011DF48C53.png

I got my Mottled from Dennis Heltzel ( Welbars ) who's a member here ... as well as some really nice blacks to improve them. He made clear to me the Motts are still a work in progress and the shanks are not there. Our Mottled cockerel has spotty legs. It's actually really pretty. Clearly there is a dark base.
From reading the Mottled Am thread, I think I'm convinced that a plain slate shank is not possible with the Mottled gene affecting it.
Where is he based? Does he offer shipped eggs/chicks or just pick up? I can’t tell from the website.
I wouldn’t mind speckled legs, I have a mottled houdan mix with speckled legs and I love them. As long as they’re Ameraucana in every other way I think that’s fine! I am seriously considering getting some of these!

Where is he based? Does he offer shipped eggs/chicks or just pick up? I can’t tell from the website.
I wouldn’t mind speckled legs, I have a mottled houdan mix with speckled legs and I love them. As long as they’re Ameraucana in every other way I think that’s fine! I am seriously considering getting some of these!
Same!!!

Dennis is in Pa. He prefers to ship chicks not eggs to improve success. He was just wonderful to work with. I got my box of chicks to FL 3-4 months ago and all 28 of various breeds were healthy and perky. We were really happy!

Back
Top Bottom