The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Awww they’re so pretty!! Are they bantams? It’s hard to tell sizes sometimes 😆

They're just babies at 3 - 4 months old. LF.
It's a really mixed flock with different ages of Mottled Orps, Mottled, Split, and Black Ams, and some Olive Eggers we hatched from the Isabel Ams eggs after buying the hens (the black/brown chicks).
It's the nicest young flock we've ever had... Clifford the eldest Orp rules, but he is such a softie and just gets in the way of any squabbling, lol.

This has been a fun discussion! I too am in LOVE with the mottled and erminette colors! There are a couple of people here in CA that are working on erminette and I really want them! I have finally gotten blue, black and a splash pullets and I have a self blue rooster…so for now I’m going to focus on black and self blue until I can get a black rooster to use with my blue and splash girls. I also just acquired a bantam wheaten breeding pair 😍 I am hoping to get some more from a lady just north of me that has brown reds, buffs, and whites!! In LF and bantam.

I also got my first Ameraucana eggs this week! 😍😍😍
I just thought about this but if you had a bantam lavender roo or hen, you could make bantam Isabel Ameraucanas with your bantam wheatens! 😍

Imagine these beauties as cute little bantams!
Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 7.24.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 7.24.49 AM.png

Heard from the breeder this morning. That egg came from her pen that has some splits in it, so the baby is definitely a black split. At least I know what she is now. Oh well. She's still adorable!
View attachment 3202912

A Black split to Lavender? I didn't know that's what they looked like as chicks. I thought she looked similar to our Split Mottled.

So did the breeder offer you any explanation for why she didn't get your order right, or was it supposed to be a mixed lot?

A Black split to Lavender? I didn't know that's what they looked like as chicks. I thought she looked similar to our Split Mottled.

So did the breeder offer you any explanation for why she didn't get your order right, or was it supposed to be a mixed lot?
Yeah, I didn't know she'd have the face markings. I've never had a split bird before. I seem to recall her saying there was a chance she may have to pull from her pen that had some splits to fill the order. I told her that was fine. It was the only egg with the letter of that pen on it, so I'm totally ok with it. Can still get lavenders out of her, and that's what really matters to me. Plus, I'll have 3 more actual lavenders, if the last 2 pipped eggs hatch(one is actually zipping right now). So may end up only using this baby to make OEs or something fun like that where it won't matter. Either way, she's beautiful😍

Yeah, I didn't know she'd have the face markings. I've never had a split bird before. I seem to recall her saying there was a chance she may have to pull from her pen that had some splits to fill the order. I told her that was fine. It was the only egg with the letter of that pen on it, so I'm totally ok with it. Can still get lavenders out of her, and that's what really matters to me. Plus, I'll have 3 more actual lavenders, if the last 2 pipped eggs hatch(one is actually zipping right now). So may end up only using this baby to make OEs or something fun like that where it won't matter. Either way, she's beautiful😍

Plus Splits are really useful for feather quality. Hopefully you don't get any shredded feathers in your Lavs, but if you do you can use the Split girl with the best one.

Back
Top Bottom