The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Mr cheeks just popping in to say hi to the other ams

Attachments

• 20221105_160214.jpg
    20221105_160214.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey everyone! Is it normal for an Ameraucana to have not laid an egg yet at 10 months? 🤔 She was hatched April 21 2022, and still hasn’t laid her first egg! She’s been squatting for months now and has a red comb! Very impatiently waiting for that blue egg 😅
Mine seemed to take a long time, but once they started, they haven't stopped so hopefully you'll get some soon!

Hey everyone! Is it normal for an Ameraucana to have not laid an egg yet at 10 months? 🤔 She was hatched April 21 2022, and still hasn’t laid her first egg! She’s been squatting for months now and has a red comb! Very impatiently waiting for that blue egg 😅
It seems like it might be normal for the breed. I thought I might want to start breeding Ameraucanas and bought a batch of B/B/S hatching eggs from a breeder. They hatched around the end of March or very beginning of April last year. I got 2 or 3 eggs out of the six hens in October and nothing for months. A week or so ago I started getting a few sporadic eggs again. I think they're around 10 months old. I'm getting 1 or 2 eggs about every other day out of the six--so they are probably not all laying. I suppose the winter made them quit laying, though my hatchery quality birds and my backyard-bred mixes have all laid through their first winter.

If I wanted to keep the Ameraucanas and hatch eggs in a practical way, I suppose I'd either have to hatch out the eggs in the winter so they matured soon enough to start laying through the late summer or fall or try lighting my coop to increase egg production.

Since I'm new to Ameraucanas, it's not fair for me to say it is typical of their laying, but it has been my experience so far. It makes me kind of sad because I love everything else about them.

Yes, it is normal, but very annoying! :D I have a bantam wheaten Ameraucana girl who hasn't laid yet and she is 9.5 months. They like to make you wait for their magical eggs hehe.

It seems like it might be normal for the breed. I thought I might want to start breeding Ameraucanas and bought a batch of B/B/S hatching eggs from a breeder. They hatched around the end of March or very beginning of April last year. I got 2 or 3 eggs out of the six hens in October and nothing for months. A week or so ago I started getting a few sporadic eggs again. I think they're around 10 months old. I'm getting 1 or 2 eggs about every other day out of the six--so they are probably not all laying. I suppose the winter made them quit laying, though my hatchery quality birds and my backyard-bred mixes have all laid through their first winter.

If I wanted to keep the Ameraucanas and hatch eggs in a practical way, I suppose I'd either have to hatch out the eggs in the winter so they matured soon enough to start laying through the late summer or fall or try lighting my coop to increase egg production.

Since I'm new to Ameraucanas, it's not fair for me to say it is typical of their laying, but it has been my experience so far. It makes me kind of sad because I love everything else about them.
Once they get going, they are pretty reliable layers though, so that helps! But yes, my two beautiful Ameraucana hens were born 2/7 of last year and they started laying in about late September/October. However, as pullets they did lay through the winter as well. They also laid tiny pullet eggs for the first month or two and now the eggs are a really nice size and blue color.

Mine seemed to take a long time, but once they started, they haven't stopped so hopefully you'll get some soon!
Yes, it is normal, but very annoying! :D I have a bantam wheaten Ameraucana girl who hasn't laid yet and she is 9.5 months. They like to make you wait for their magical eggs hehe.
Thanks for your responses!!! Looks like these gals take their sweet time to start laying lol. Im getting two or three more this spring (a blue/black, maybe both, and a lavender) so I guess I’ll have to wait until the end of 2023 to see eggs from them too!! 😂 They're lucky that they are super gorgeous and have very sweet personalities, I want more colors in the future!

I have 5 Ameraucanas from Cackle Hatchery, 2 black, 1 lavender, 1 splash and 1 blue hatched March 22'. They are all now laying. Opal, my splash, is the sweetest, calmest I have. The lavender and black are pretty calm as well. My blue, Violet, however is very high strung and flighty. They are a pretty quiet bunch compared to the rest of my flock. I'm glad I added them and for sure enjoy their beautiful eggs in my basket.
PXL_20220918_132248657~3.jpg
PXL_20220918_132059021~2.jpg
PXL_20220918_131649766.MP~3.jpg
PXL_20220712_144742334.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom