The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
So, the dark one has a rather red comb for a pea or modified pea comb this early.
The lighter, reddish one has a rather broad base of the comb for a pea or modified pea comb.
They both have somewhat thick legs. These are things to keep an eye on.
I find the saddles hard to see in the angle of these pictures - it's the tips of those feathers that matter. So, if you put your hand under them, are they pointy or rounded at the tip?

So, the dark one has a rather red comb for a pea or modified pea comb this early.
The lighter, reddish one has a rather broad base of the comb for a pea or modified pea comb.
They both have somewhat thick legs. These are things to keep an eye on.
I find the saddles hard to see in the angle of these pictures - it's the tips of those feathers that matter. So, if you put your hand under them, are they pointy or rounded at the tip?
Thank you for your input. So far, the saddle feathers on the blue/red laced looking on are looking round. I'll take a closer look this afternoon. Its a beautiful bird, so I really hope it's a hen, however I was supposed to rehome them this coming up weekend if they're both roos, so would love to know..

Is this a pure Ameraucana? It's hard to get a good picture of him while he runs around
Screenshot_20230406-090723~2.png

Screenshot_20230406-090734~2.png

Unfortunately I don’t think so. His comb looks mixed and his coloring doesn’t match any standard variety.
The color is a color of Ameraucana, (not the best quality)comb is iffy. That color is called brown red in Ameraucanas, the hackles aren't solid enough in the red, but it is close. Brown red verity is kinda rare now. Here's a picture from one of the clubs.

Screenshot_20230406-184438_Firefox.jpg

The greenish tone to his legs means he has yellow skin, which a true Ameraucana shouldn't have. That, the comb, and there's something not quite right about his coloration, too much black where there shouldn't be black, all makes him an Easter-egger.

Back
Top Bottom