The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
Bantam blue wheaten cockerel 4 1/2 months old. Hatched June 14th. Lovely fellow so far. Nice coloring, I think, and so far has a tiny comb and pretty fluffy cheeks.
6C298D50-8E7A-4BF2-8D36-787EA2C1FA7F.jpeg
138616D6-0306-4F27-A348-483FBA4556B0.jpeg
F6D9C7A6-A46E-4AC2-845F-1876C2A10D1C.jpeg

Bantam blue wheaten cockerel 4 1/2 months old. Hatched June 14th. Lovely fellow so far. Nice coloring, I think, and so far has a tiny comb and pretty fluffy cheeks.

He really is lovely. I haven't really liked blue wheatens before, but his particular shade makes his tail look like it's made of soft velvet. Gorgeous!
With a fabulous tail shape and a nice full body. 🤩

Very handsome boy! I have a 12 week old, who looks like he'll be similar when he grows up, but still just has his short patchy feathering. I can't wait!
Thank you! This is one of my favorite colorations. Your boy‘ll probably mature into a beautiful specimen himself. That crazy teenager-baby stage is certainly something to marvel at lol.
He is lovely 🥰 His comb looks really nice and tight! It’s so hard to get those!
I love how close to the skull it is. I can’t take credit for breeding it, I just feel lucky to have hatched him out. I got eggs from Rebecca G Howie, and she’s been stellar help so far, plus her birds are awesome. I’m stoked at how this male is turning out in particular because he is literally my ONLY boy lol. Hopefully I can keep improving on the line.
He really is lovely. I haven't really liked blue wheatens before, but his particular shade makes his tail look like it's made of soft velvet. Gorgeous!
With a fabulous tail shape and a nice full body. 🤩
Thank you! Best of all is that he’s still a baby lol. I’m hoping the tail grows in more 🤞. His transition from back to tail has smoothed out over the last two weeks and his beard has gotten fluffier, so hopefully he keeps at the growth. His coloring is pretty beautiful in person. I love the darker red shoulders he has, while still keeping the light golden hackles. I also love the blue. I think I just like everything about him.

A website claimed that the different colors of Ameraucana have significant differences in laying rate, but no specific numbers were listed. Anyone have more knowledge on this subject?
What website? All Ameraucana are late to lay. Some up to or passed the 30 week mark. I don't think it has much to do with color but rather the breeding practices of an individual line. If they breed for an earlier laying hen or one that produces more eggs per year it would be something that's a trait of that line.

What website? All Ameraucana are late to lay. Some up to or passed the 30 week mark. I don't think it has much to do with color but rather the breeding practices of an individual line. If they breed for an earlier laying hen or one that produces more eggs per year it would be something that's a trait of that line.
I can't recall honestly. I was researching the breed when I picked some up around a year ago and it's one of the things I remember reading. I found it odd that different colors would lay different amounts of eggs each year

Trying to google right now and find the same website

Back
Top Bottom