The American Bresse...

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
Who here raises them? Who here raises them using the "official" protocol? And who here has actually eaten them? Just for kicks...is there anyone who has eaten them raised "officially" and has also had them raised in the "regular" way, which to me means free ranging and supplementing with meat bird food.

@BarnyardChaos mentioned getting his new birds and I had just started looking into raising Bresse. I had no idea that they were raised differently until he mentioned it in another post.

The way they are raised leads me to wonder if chickens of other breeds would taste different as well if they were raised with that protocol...or do Bresse truly taste different regardless of the method in which they are raised.

I raised about a dozen lower quality bresse this spring that I bought off Craigslist. They all free ranged and lived with my layers and were fed all flock, so they weren’t finished in the traditional French way.

I happened to have also bought some black copper marans bred to the SOP during the same time. I butchered the FBCM roosters with my bresse and only noticed some slight differences in meat quality. Both were exceptionally more flavorful than any hatchery meat bird, and the only thing that stood out with the bresse was the thin skin. It crisps up really nicely both in the smoker and in the oven.

Overall I really enjoy having the bresse as a dual purpose bird, between the great meat quality and the fact that the pullets have been great layers so far.

Who here raises them? Who here raises them using the "official" protocol? And who here has actually eaten them? Just for kicks...is there anyone who has eaten them raised "officially" and has also had them raised in the "regular" way, which to me means free ranging and supplementing with meat bird food.

@BarnyardChaos mentioned getting his new birds and I had just started looking into raising Bresse. I had no idea that they were raised differently until he mentioned it in another post.

The way they are raised leads me to wonder if chickens of other breeds would taste different as well if they were raised with that protocol...or do Bresse truly taste different regardless of the method in which they are raised.
I am currently in the process of raising them. Started with a total of 10, have 9 left - 2 roos and 4 hens are my breeders from two different bloodlines best I can tell. Current flock is numbered at 32 American Bresse so far with a dozen or more in the incubator still. We started in early november. Hatch rates have been 70% plus. Got a new incubator and it accidentally baked 32 fertile eggs about 20 being bresse.. 😟😟😟

ETA: Have not eaten one yet. Have not done the "official protocol" either. I will do my first cull when these 32 are about 5 months old.

I've just started a small flock of Bresse, so have yet to find out. Never tasted one, raised either way. I'm not sure whether I'll try the French method of finishing or not. I've read that their specific genetics are what allows marbling in the meat, but the finishing method is what brings it out.

As for flavor, I think we Americans are accustomed to the flavor of Cornish Cross, being so prevalent in our markets and restaurants. And they are meaty birds. But I didn't like Cornish Cross mostly because I could not breed them myself and they make an awful mess. So I have high hopes for this adventure with Bresse; I'll give up some plumpness and accept a slightly different taste, if all else works out well. We shall see.

I've got 18 eggs in the incubator right now, set to hatch 2/24. I'm excited. My plan was to keep one rooster with a few hens for re-hatching some next spring perhaps and do this yearly.
Hi, I bought 15 (received 19) chicks from GFF last Wednesday and I’m expecting another shipment next Wednesday. I hope you don’t mind me tagging along as I’m new to Bresse breed. I splurged on them figuring that thats enough to have my pick for the breading stock. My intention is to go the French way … all the way, lol.

I've just started a small flock of Bresse, so have yet to find out. Never tasted one, raised either way. I'm not sure whether I'll try the French method of finishing or not. I've read that their specific genetics are what allows marbling in the meat, but the finishing method is what brings it out.

As for flavor, I think we Americans are accustomed to the flavor of Cornish Cross, being so prevalent in our markets and restaurants. And they are meaty birds. But I didn't like Cornish Cross mostly because I could not breed them myself and they make an awful mess. So I have high hopes for this adventure with Bresse; I'll give up some plumpness and accept a slightly different taste, if all else works out well. We shall see.
I agree. With so many people liking so many different foods its difficult to rate taste to someone else.
I really hope it works out for you.

Never raised them. I just breed my birds for meat amount, & quality. I just take whoever has the most meaty breasts, & breed them together. But also feed a high protein diet, which also helps maintain their muscles.

I've found that certain birds, just never really get meaty, & stay thin. Those I cull anyways, to remove them from the gene pool.

I'm not sure they feed them fresh milk. They might be giving them kefir.
They actually use grains soaked in skim milk

"
From age 5 weeks to the beginning of the finishing process, French Bresse chicks are allowed to forage all day for bugs and greens in grassy pastures. Required are 108 square feet (10 square meters) per bird. The typical flock of a maximum of 500 birds forages in 5,000 square meters of grass (53,819 square feet, or 1.24 acres).

Their diet is supplemented with a lower-protein, locally grown whole grain mash (corn and wheat) soaked in skim milk. See photos below. The lower protein intake encourages foraging. Foraging contributes to both muscle mass and flavor, hence, to the unique qualities of poulet de Bresse" https://www.ambresse.com/french-bresse-finishing.html

Back
Top Bottom