The American Paint Silkie

Much to my surprise, my first year breeding trio of black hen, white hen and my crazy rooster that no one seems to know the color of, are producing paint babies. I'm almost
sure it's the white hen, as she's hatched two herself.

got a picture of the rooster? i have many paint offspring that are not paint, or just barely show a small black spot in a sea of buff/rust. one is black too,i believe the paint gene is its own component and can be carried separately.

some people call that a silver on ebay, but it could be a columbian with pattern irregularities. the only true test is cross breeding and even that wont be 100% because of background (suppressed) genes or incomplete dominance. i have never produced that pattern-much less colour-from my paints but that doesnt mean he doesnt have the paint gene in him.

Look at this cutie that finally hatched late today :) Look at all those spots! :) My boys are doing a good job lol. Her lil toes were a lil curly so I just put booties on them just to avoid any issues.

Hey. My name is Barbara and I raise various types of chickens, turkeys and ducks. I don't breed for selling...they are pets. But I do enjoy matching up like chickens to try and obtain unique and different colors. It's all just for fun. I love your story on how the American Paint Silkie came about. I actually have a partridge rooster cooped with a black hen and a grey hen. I recently just had a batch of white silkies hatch with 4 cochin chicks included. You see my cochin hen wouldn't brood, so I stuck them in with my white silkies eggs. Bingo!

I would love to purchase some of your paints, but I'm assuming they are not for sale.

You know your will probably get some people telling you that you shouldn't mess with the breed to get variations of them. Don't listen to them....how do you think all the different breeds of dogs came about. Way to go!

Sincerely,

Barbara
jumpy.gif
Silkie Lover

Just had to share this lil 5wk old cutie named Marsh mellow "Hubby named it whether he meant to or not lol". She's quickly becoming a favorite. I gave her a bath & blow dry just for fun last night and just love how nicely she's turning out. :)

Did you breed this baby, or did you purchase it? If you bred it, what did the parents look like?
Are you talking about my lil marshmellow above? lol It came from my paint pen that has paint boys in with paint girls and blue hens. Soon will have black hens as well. Pretty sure this lil one came from one of the paint hens :)

Back
Top Bottom