The Ancona breeders thread

Pics

Yellow House Farm

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Barrington, NH
This thread is established for the discussion of the Ancona: its history, breeding, and important productive qualities. Hopefully it will be a sight that helps new-comers understand this excellent breed and encourage the pursuit of breeding Anconas to the Standard of Perfection.

Last edited:
Ancona throwback chick.JPG

Okay. I was on another list and they're sold out of chicks and might have adults in the fall....I'm just amazed that I can't find a pair of these to work with....please do keep me in mind...

Thank you!

~Heather

I think that if we actually did a role call for recognized APA/ABA breeders of the breeds most of us take for granted, we'd be absolutely shocked.

I have been working with single comb Ancona here in Southwest Wisconsin for a few years. I have to say that they are the most economical birds and lay at a high and consistent rate. My two and three year old hens lay as well as ever. I purchased some new stock from Sand Hill Preservation, and will be breeding the older hens to this blood line in the spring. I also have to say that the hens did fine this past winter in Wisconsin. I was surprised how well they handled the cold. We love this breed!

I'm a lot less discouraged but a lot angrier. There's a very good explanation of why little black [mites?] were all over our eggs. My sixteen year old who "cleans the nest boxes every Thursday" simply tops them off with fresh wood chips! When I put my hand inside one of the boxes I noticed it had clumped, caked on, stuff at the bottom, I scraped it with my fingernail against the junk. When it didn't move, I thought, how did this occur in three days since it was only three days since he was supposed to have deep-cleaned the nest boxes. I smelled my fingertips, they stunk like dead animal. I stuck my nose in one of the nest boxes, it stunk like dead animal. He's has never cleaned the nest boxes in two years! Yes, I guess you could blame me but when I check the boxes look like they're done, nice clean chips. Anyway, the crew and I bleached the nest boxes and rinsed them out thoroughly today, mixed in the DE with new fresh chips. Now I'll pick up some Pyrythrin and spray the chickens.

Well, there's a big--BIG--difference between failing and giving up. A huge difference. I think that, in poultry if not in other areas as well, failure is one of the best modes of learning. I think that's how I've learned so much--I just keep failing. Isn't that Churchill, though, "Never, never, never give up!"

The other thing is not to get too annoyed with the inevitable. If this is your first bug infestation, it assuredly will not be your last. I promise.

As for the early eggs, I have often marveled at how cold eggs can get and still hatch. I regularly come home to collect eggs after work with an outdoor temp in the teens, and as long as they're not cracked, they hatch. It's pretty cool actually. You'll be surprised what you can do for early hatching; I always am.

I'm a lot less discouraged but a lot angrier. There's a very good explanation of why little black [mites?] were all over our eggs. My sixteen year old who "cleans the nest boxes every Thursday" simply tops them off with fresh wood chips! When I put my hand inside one of the boxes I noticed it had clumped, caked on, stuff at the bottom, I scraped it with my fingernail against the junk. When it didn't move, I thought, how did this occur in three days since it was only three days since he was supposed to have deep-cleaned the nest boxes. I smelled my fingertips, they stunk like dead animal. I stuck my nose in one of the nest boxes, it stunk like dead animal. He's has never cleaned the nest boxes in two years! Yes, I guess you could blame me but when I check the boxes look like they're done, nice clean chips. Anyway, the crew and I bleached the nest boxes and rinsed them out thoroughly today, mixed in the DE with new fresh chips. Now I'll pick up some Pyrythrin and spray the chickens.

Haven't seen a bug since!

Joe, I'm getting eggs at about 60% now from the seven Ancona hens I have, they are large to extra large eggs.

I bought some red sex links in Feb just to work with for the year to be sure everything is fine (perfecting my trap nest) still haven't lost a bird this year, yay! Everything will be all set for the spring, I'm very excited.

Last edited:
I am happy to see the work Yellow House Farm is doing with the Ancona breed! I look forward to watching your flock grow. Hopefully I will have some more room for some
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom