The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
This might have already been asked, but would the offspring a white silkie over buff orpington be sexlinked?
You mean the father would be a White silkie and the mother a Buff Orpington, right?

There are several kinds of sexlinks. Most of them will not work with those chickens, but one or two might.

Gold/silver sexlinks requrie a gold father and a silver mother-- not possible with a Buff Orpington mother.

Barred/not-barred sexlinks require a not-barred father and a barred mother-- also not possible with a Buff Orpington mother.

Skin-color sexlinks might be possible. They require a dark-legged father (most Silkies have dark legs) and a light-legged mother (Buff Orpingtons have white legs, which are fine for this.) If that works, the daughters will have dark legs (like Silkies) and the sons will have light legs (like their mother.) Other genes can affect whether the leg color is obvious enough to be useful, so I can't be entirely sure whether it would work or not.

Feather-sexlinks require a fast-feathered father and a slow-feathered mother. If you do not know the feathering speed of the parents, you won't know if they can produce that kind of sexlinks. (When it works, the daughters are fast-feathering like their father, and the sons are slow-feathering like their mother.)

You mean the father would be a White silkie and the mother a Buff Orpington, right?

There are several kinds of sexlinks. Most of them will not work with those chickens, but one or two might.

Gold/silver sexlinks requrie a gold father and a silver mother-- not possible with a Buff Orpington mother.

Barred/not-barred sexlinks require a not-barred father and a barred mother-- also not possible with a Buff Orpington mother.

Skin-color sexlinks might be possible. They require a dark-legged father (most Silkies have dark legs) and a light-legged mother (Buff Orpingtons have white legs, which are fine for this.) If that works, the daughters will have dark legs (like Silkies) and the sons will have light legs (like their mother.) Other genes can affect whether the leg color is obvious enough to be useful, so I can't be entirely sure whether it would work or not.

Feather-sexlinks require a fast-feathered father and a slow-feathered mother. If you do not know the feathering speed of the parents, you won't know if they can produce that kind of sexlinks. (When it works, the daughters are fast-feathering like their father, and the sons are slow-feathering like their mother.)
Thanks, yes the silkie would be the father. And thanks for the info!

The females would also get dark skin as a silkie because they will inherit the id+ from father and Autosomal Fibromelanotic from father aswell

I have so many questions. Here's one of them:
I have a hen that has been around a really long time. She has spurs. They're not just itty bitty ones. They are big rooster-sized, super sharp, ninja ones - AND she knows how to use them (learned that the hard way recently...ouch! ). Will these "hen spurs" be passed to her female offspring? If so, to what degree?

I have so many questions. Here's one of them:
I have a hen that has been around a really long time. She has spurs. They're not just itty bitty ones. They are big rooster-sized, super sharp, ninja ones - AND she knows how to use them (learned that the hard way recently...ouch! ). Will these "hen spurs" be passed to her female offspring? If so, to what degree?
Yes, this is a genetic trait she can pass along. I would cull any hen with spurs

Yes, this is a genetic trait she can pass along.
Thanks for the reply. To what degree might I expect this trait to be found in her female offspring? All? or just some? She's actually an awesome momma and very predator savvy. She's outlasted many others that have succumbed to various predators. A darwin chicken of sorts. I'm not breeding her to any current SOP. I can see why folks breeding to pretty much any current SOP would cull for / lean away from this trait.

Back
Top Bottom