The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
@nicalandia back to feather color genetics…

I have recently hatched out the first chicks from my two fayoumi hens and my green queen bantam rooster. Best I can guess is he is silkie (low fibro, 5 toes), Cochin and ee cross. I bred the two more for temperament than anything else. I was wondering if there would be anything to tell about the babies colors. Most are black (which I expected) but there are two that came out red, like fayoumi chicks but without the grey stripes. I can post updated pictures of the chicks tomorrow, they are two weeks old now and are beginning to feather in.

A355E90C-4590-4A6D-A0A0-1D5B309355D4.jpeg

105FE8F3-5936-4F52-8344-A8ECEA302E66.jpeg

@nicalandia back to feather color genetics…

I have recently hatched out the first chicks from my two fayoumi hens and my green queen bantam rooster. Best I can guess is he is silkie (low fibro, 5 toes), Cochin and ee cross. I bred the two more for temperament than anything else. I was wondering if there would be anything to tell about the babies colors. Most are black (which I expected) but there are two that came out red, like fayoumi chicks but without the grey stripes. I can post updated pictures of the chicks tomorrow, they are two weeks old now and are beginning to feather in.

View attachment 2997185
This rooster is heterozygous for the Extended Black e allele so that is why not all of his chicks are showing up black

Delawares are Silver Columbian wheaten and sex linked barred
I am starting from scratch, and attempting to formulate the correct genotypes for the original parent stock (hopefully, eventually leading me to an understanding of the f1's).

This approach is bringing my attention to multiple errors that I have made (a couple of which were super huge! ) :

--- I was leaving out the presence of Wheaten at the E locus for the Delawares. Thank you for pointing out that they are wheaten.
Is this the correct E locus notation for the Delawares: E^Wh/ E^Wh ?
I definitely need to study up on wheaten to wrap my head around it. Seems like a bit of a wildcard. I am having a hard time understanding the presence of Wheaten in Delawares. I had no idea I was dealing with Wheaten. Is it masked by Ig+Ig+? Or by the presence of Silver or white? I'm stumped. Really don't understand wheaten at all .

----Also, yet another huge mistake.... I was taken aback by the idea and very unaware of the presence of "sexlinked barring" in delawares. Can you please help me with the B locus? Would that make them B/-, instead of b+/- ?

If you can bear with me......I'm attempting to think through / and hopefully understand each step as I go. Step by step, from the original parent stock as a starting point .
For the Delawares: I've got so far, what the calculator is calling " black patterned silver columbian". This description is confusing me a little....because I'm not aware of any pattern present other than columbian. And I have pg+/pg+ plugged in .....Anyway....I'm assuming the description is referencing columbian "pattern" and not the specific PG locus.

I'm sure this is probably filled with even more errors......but here goes:

E : E^Wh/E^Wh
Co: Co/Co columbian
Db Darkbrown db+/db+ Db:
Pg Pattern gene pg+/pg+ Pg:
Ml Melanotic ml+/ml+ Ml:
Cha Charcoal Cha+/Cha+ Cha:
Mh Mahogany mh+/mh+ Mh:
Di Dilute di+/di+ Di:
Ig Inhibitor of Gold Ig+/Ig+ Ig:
Cb Champagneblond cb+/cb+ Cb:
S Silver S/S silver SILVER S:
B Barring b+/b+ is it really B instead? B:
Choc Chocolate Choc+/Choc+ Choc:
I Dom. White i+/i+ black/wildtype I:
Bl Blue bl+/bl+ Bl:
Mo Mottling Mo+/Mo+ Mo:
C Rec. White C+/C+ C:
Lav Lavender Lav+/Lav+ Lav:

I am starting from scratch, and attempting to formulate the correct genotypes for the original parent stock (hopefully, eventually leading me to an understanding of the f1's).

I am going to list the genes listed by the calculator for Delawares so you can input them and work with the calculator

e autosomal locus: eWh/eWh

Co autosomal locus: Co/Co ( Columbian is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

Db Dark Brown locus: db+/db+ ( Dark Brown is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

Pg Pattern autosomal locus: pg+/pg+ ( Pattern gene is dominant, hence wildtype + is recessive )

Ml Melanotic autosomal locus: ml+/ml+ ( Melanotic is dominant hence the wildtype is recessive )

Cha Charcoal autosomal locus: Cha+/Cha+ ( charcoal cha is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

Mh Mahogany autosomal locus: mh+/m+ ( Mahogany is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

Di Dilute autosomal locus: di+/di+ ( Dilute is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

Ig Inhibitor of Gold autosomal locus: Ig+/Ig+ ( cream is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

Cb Champagne Blonde autosomal locus: cb+/cb+ ( Champagne Blonde is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

S Silver sex linked locus: S/- for females and S/S for males ( Sex linked Silver is dominant, hence wildtype + is recessive )

Barring B sex linked locus: B/- for females and B/B for males ( Sex lined Barring is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive )

Choc Chocolate sex linked locus: Choc+/- for females and Choc+/Choc+ for males ( Sex linked chocolate is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

I Dominant White autosomal locus: i+/i+ ( Dominant White is dominant, hence wildtype + is recessive )

Bl Blue autosomal locus: bl+/bl+ ( Blue is dominant, hence wildtype + is recessive )

Mo Mottling autosomal locus: Mo+/Mo+ ( mottling is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

C Recessive White autosomal locus: C+/C+ ( recessive white is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

Lav Lavender autosomal locus: Lav+/Lav+ ( lavender is recessive, hence the wildtype + is dominant )

Delawares are

eWh/eWh, Co/Co, db+/db+, ml+/ml+, Cha+/Cha+, mh+/mh+, di+/di+, Ig/Ig, cb+/cb+, S/-(for females, S/S for males), B/-(for females and B/B for males), Choc+/Choc+(Choc+/- for females, Choc+/Choc+ for males), i+/i+, bl+/bl+, Mo+/Mo+, C+/C+, Lav+/Lav+

Last edited:
I am having a hard time understanding the presence of Wheaten in Delawares. I had no idea I was dealing with Wheaten. Is it masked by Ig+Ig+? Or by the presence of Silver or white? I'm stumped. Really don't understand wheaten at all.
Wheaten usually shows a bunch of red/gold shades, with a certain amount of black, arranged in a particular way.

Silver turns all that gold into white.

Some of the other genes re-arrange where the black is located on the chicken. (Columbian is doing that with Delawares.)
For the Delawares: I've got so far, what the calculator is calling " black patterned silver columbian". This description is confusing me a little....because I'm not aware of any pattern present other than columbian. And I have pg+/pg+ plugged in .....Anyway....I'm assuming the description is referencing columbian "pattern" and not the specific PG locus.
Yes, it is representing the Columbian pattern, not anything to do with Pg.

If you add genes that modify black to another shade, that description could change to "blue patterned" or "white patterned" or "lavender patterned" (etc.)

When dealing with the actual pattern gene, the calculator tends to say "black laced" or "blue laced" or "black spangled" or whatever else is appropriate, because most of those patterns have their own special names.

I am going to list the genes listed by the calculator for Delawares so you can input them and work with the calculator
e autosomal locus: eWh/eWh
Co autosomal locus: Co/Co ( Columbian is dominant, hence the wildtype + is recessive ).......
Thank you for methodically going through each locus. So very helpful. Not only do I wish to put them in correctly, but I wish to understand them as well. Thank you so much for your time and effort in helping me to do so. I really really appreciate it! Thanks so much! :)
Delawares are
eWh/eWh, Co/Co, db+/db+, ml+/ml+, Cha+/Cha+, mh+/mh+, di+/di+, Ig/Ig, cb+/cb+, S/-(for females, S/S for males), B/-(for females and B/B for males), Choc+/Choc+(Choc+/- for females, Choc+/Choc+ for males), i+/i+, bl+/bl+, Mo+/Mo+, C+/C+, Lav+/Lav+
This is the amazing "cheat sheet" that I needed ! It includes the barring and wheaten!!! ......I'm still ruminating on all this. It would have saved me a lot of time on my flawed F1 research (Aka: hamster wheel to nowhere) . But then again, maybe hours of indulging in such folly will prevent me from doing so in the future.

Wheaten usually shows a bunch of red/gold shades, with a certain amount of black, arranged in a particular way.
Silver turns all that gold into white.
Ah ha! So it is Silver that is cancelling out that wheaten then. Thank you! The Wheaten curveball has really been throwing me for a loop.

Back
Top Bottom