The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Can you explain what genetics is being displayed by this boy? @nicalandia, I know there's Wildtype, based on what we saw based on his down color/pattern. Big Fatty is practically the same type of coloration, but a splash version.

20220724_131504.jpg
20220724_131540.jpg
20220724_131544.jpg
20220724_131633.jpg
I know he has blue, & red. He also has some scattered barring in the saddles he's growing. He's starting to replace his red breast feathers with blue.

Last edited:
New question @NatJ or @nicalandia! I have black mottled EEs (pics are of one of them) and I am wondering what the best color would be to mix with them to get bantam black mottled true Ameraucanas? Would I want black birds or dominant whites? I have access to both where I am locally, but if I start a project like this, I want to start off right! Would one result in mottled while the other erminette? I know the first generation would be split to mottled...if I understand it right, but I am wondering if there is a better choice, with black or white?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 47BA7EC5-4EB3-405C-A225-924FE5BE607D.jpeg
    47BA7EC5-4EB3-405C-A225-924FE5BE607D.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F2D66CA0-2DA9-4A57-8E70-4BDCBFB859D9.jpeg
    F2D66CA0-2DA9-4A57-8E70-4BDCBFB859D9.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 3
New question @NatJ or @nicalandia! I have black mottled EEs (pics are of one of them) and I am wondering what the best color would be to mix with them to get bantam black mottled true Ameraucanas? Would I want black birds or dominant whites? I have access to both where I am locally, but if I start a project like this, I want to start off right! Would one result in mottled while the other erminette? I know the first generation would be split to mottled...if I understand it right, but I am wondering if there is a better choice, with black or white?

Thanks!

Dominant White x Black = Paint(breeding back to black every generation will generate better paints)

Recessive mottling x Black = Blacks split for recessive mottling.

A Paint Bantam Ameraucana would be a nice straight breeding project

If there were an actual pied chicken, how would you expect it to look like?

Pyle, Mottled, Paint, or neither?
What do you mean by pied?

My dictionary says "pied" means it has two or more different colors, so all of those would be considered "pied" by that meaning.

I don't know any chicken-specific meaning, except that "pied" was used as a name for a gene, until that gene was found to be the same at mottled.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3446343/
Title, "Evidence that the mottled (mo) and pied (pi) plumage genes of the domestic fowl are identical"
Author, W.C. Carefoot
Year, 1987

So if a "pied" chicken is really just a mottled chicken, of course it looks like a mottled chicken. (Possibly with a different ratio of black/white than the breeds we most commonly see that are called "mottled.")

What do you mean by pied?

My dictionary says "pied" means it has two or more different colors, so all of those would be considered "pied" by that meaning.

I don't know any chicken-specific meaning, except that "pied" was used as a name for a gene, until that gene was found to be the same at mottled.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3446343/
Title, "Evidence that the mottled (mo) and pied (pi) plumage genes of the domestic fowl are identical"
Author, W.C. Carefoot
Year, 1987

So if a "pied" chicken is really just a mottled chicken, of course it looks like a mottled chicken. (Possibly with a different ratio of black/white than the breeds we most commonly see that are called "mottled.")
Pied, as in like that you see in quail, & peafowl.

I've read that article before actually.

I've read that article before actually.
I just wanted to be clear what I was talking about :)

Pied, as in like that you see in quail, & peafowl.
I don't think I've seen chickens with the patchy white like that, except maybe some juvenile mottled or "speckled" ones, but they grew up to have the normal pattern.

I guess I'll have to leave this for @nicalandia or someone else more knowledgeable to answer.

I just wanted to be clear what I was talking about :)

I don't think I've seen chickens with the patchy white like that, except maybe some juvenile mottled or "speckled" ones, but they grew up to have the normal pattern.

I guess I'll have to leave this for @nicalandia or someone else more knowledgeable to answer.
It's fine, it was a question for the imagination, & those who may have a different visual of what a pied chicken would most likely look like.

Back
Top Bottom