The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
My Cream Legbar looks like a Dwarf. She has stubby legs.

Thoughts?
20220819_120619.jpg
20220819_120553.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-120736_Gallery.jpg

I'm working towards a breeding project for mille fleur and porcelain Satins...I have this lil bantam cochin that has turned out to be a boy...will he aid of hinder this project?
I'm told he is a calico from the breeder...his sister is a mille fleur.
I have porcelain d'uccles that he would be breeding.

Attachments

• 20220819_093819.jpg
    20220819_093819.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 3
I'm working towards a breeding project for mille fleur and porcelain Satins...I have this lil bantam cochin that has turned out to be a boy...will he aid of hinder this project?
He's blue Mottled. Calico is Mille Fleur with lots of large white mottled spots.

He came from mille fleur parents...here's his sister. They are only 5 weeks old.. she's really slow at feathering...perhaps his flowers will show as he grows out?
Thinking there's been a mix up. He's clearly Blue Mottled.
Screenshot_20220822-093342_Chrome.jpg
The female is hard to tell fully of what color she'll be, until she gets older. Right now she looks partridge.

It looks like he's got the mottling (good), but not the other colors you would want (gold/red plus black or maybe blue).

Based on how he looks right now, I would look for a different male for your project.

He came from mille fleur parents...here's his sister. They are only 5 weeks old.. she's really slow at feathering...perhaps his flowers will show as he grows out?
I don't think his color will change much as he grows, but you certainly can keep him for a while and see.

It should not be possible to get a chick of his color from two parents that have Mille Fleur color. So there might be some mixup about his parentage (either the egg came from a different hen, or the right hen mated with the wrong rooster.)

Thinking there's been a mix up. He's clearly Blue Mottled.View attachment 3231778The female is hard to tell fully of what color she'll be, until she gets older. Right now she looks partridge.
U r right I misunderstood...they are not brother and sister....
Here are his parents. Do you still say blue mottled rather than calico?

Attachments

• received_1711315385915642.jpeg
    received_1711315385915642.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4
U r right I misunderstood...they are not brother and sister....
Here are his parents. Do you still say blue mottled rather than calico?
Those birds have black and brown in the feathers, plus the white mottling.
The white mottling part is fine.
But it should not be possible for them to produce a chick like your cockerel (black or blue all over, with no brown/red/gold at all).

I'm not actually sure if your cockerel is black or blue (hard to tell on my computer screen), but either way he doesn't have the brown (or red or gold) that he should have, if those were his parents.

If he's blue, then he must also inherit the blue gene from somewhere, and those parents do not have it either.

Back
Top Bottom