The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I don't know how people breeding lavenders feel about it, but most people breeding blues try to keep lavender out of their flock because, as a general rule, darker blues are considered more correct/more desirable and because blue should have strong lacing while lavender is paler and has no lacing.
Yeah, I totally get that.

It was kind of a random hypothetical question rather than a practical one. I don't have any BBS or Lavender birds as of right now, haha.

Hello!
I am curious about some babies I have currently. I have seven Buff sussex chicks, about 2 weeks old, bred and hatch by me. I noticed when they hatched that some had some form of a black mark on their head, now that they're feathering the ones with the mark's have some odd to me colours coming in.
Here you can see the black mark on a couple of the chicks.
20221229_080052.jpg

This is the dark colour that coming in on some.
20221229_075733.jpg
20221229_080136.jpg

And I think there's two like this? (The other not quite so white)
20221229_080038.jpg

20221229_080029.jpg

This is one of the normal coloured ones
20221229_080113.jpg

Group of most of them.
20221229_080149.jpg

Mother is one of my bred ones, she is pure sussex (has light sussex in her), the rooster I brought years ago and have hatch from him before.
Are all these colours normal for Buff Sussex and why do they show up like that?

Hello!
I am curious about some babies I have currently. I have seven Buff sussex chicks, about 2 weeks old, bred and hatch by me. I noticed when they hatched that some had some form of a black mark on their head, now that they're feathering the ones with the mark's have some odd to me colours coming in.
They all look wheaten to me, Wheaten it's difficult to spot the pattern when chicks

They all look wheaten to me, Wheaten it's difficult to spot the pattern when chicks
I know very little about chicken gentics, so please bare with me.
Would showing you the parents confirm them being Wheaten? Will they mature to look like a normal Buff or will they look different? And do you have any links or anything for me to learn about Wheaten?

I know very little about chicken gentics, so please bare with me.
Would showing you the parents confirm them being Wheaten?
They are Wheaten at the e locus, no doubt about it. But that is only for the chick down color, their final pattern will depend on other mutations

One last question.
Because I've been looking at the chicks today I realise 5 have dark legs and 3 have light legs. I expected some dark legs because my hen has dark legs, the father of these chicks has very white legs. What is the dominance of leg colour? I also have two older (believed to be pure but possibly not) Buff sussex, one who is looking like a cockerel has dark legs and the other who is looking like a pullet has light legs.
These chicks, first two pictures are dark legs.
20221229_110540.jpg
20221229_110529.jpg
20221229_110520.jpg

Two older chicks.
20221229_110558.jpg

Mother's legs.
20221229_110645.jpg

Best picture I currently have access to of the rooster's legs, I will get a better one if needed.
20221127_131238.jpg

One last question.
Because I've been looking at the chicks today I realise 5 have dark legs and 3 have light legs. I expected some dark legs because my hen has dark legs, the father of these chicks has very white legs. What is the dominance of leg colour?

Dark shank color is recessive and sex linked this means 100% that your rooster is actually only heterozygous for light shanks(Id/id+) and your hen is id+/- so 50% of the chicks should have dark shanks

Back
Top Bottom