The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Do you have pictures of the F1 hens with Walnut comb?
Yes, they both look exactly like this:
IMG_2065.JPG

Pictures, as requested.
The dad:
View attachment 3364882
The possible moms:
View attachment 3364883View attachment 3364885View attachment 3364891View attachment 3364884View attachment 3364887View attachment 3364889
In total, there were four EE eggs, three Wyandotte eggs, and one Delaware egg. The two SLW cross pullets look like this, solid blue with walnut combs.
View attachment 3364893
And the two other pullets, black with silver leakage.
View attachment 3364894
View attachment 3364895
The ameraucana rooster must either be silver/gold split or silver/silver to produce sons with the silver gene from those gold EE hens. Also, one of your wyandottes is impure for the rose comb gene (common in wyandottes) to have a son with a pea comb.

The ameraucana rooster must either be silver/gold split or silver/silver to produce sons with the silver gene from those gold EE hens. Also, one of your wyandottes is impure for the rose comb gene (common in wyandottes) to have a son with a pea comb.
Oh, the Ameraucana rooster does have a tiny silver hackle feather. Does that help? If he was silver/gold split, wouldn't he have golden leakage?

Oh, the Ameraucana rooster does have a tiny silver hackle feather. Does that help? If he was silver/gold split, wouldn't he have golden leakage?
Roosters can be silver/gold split without having any leakage at all, though the silver feather could indicate that he is pure for silver (silver/silver) instead of silver/gold.

Can I test breed a blue and or lavender some how to see if they are based in gold or silver? I do know they are going to be black underneath the blue and lavender but I am wanting to know if they have gold or silver under that.

Yes, test it with Buff Orps...

Buff Orp rooster crossed with Blue and Lavender hens. If the males that hatch are gold based then that means that you have gold based birds.

See the following thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2-year-breeding-project.1558476/

Can I test breed a blue and or lavender some how to see if they are based in gold or silver? I do know they are going to be black underneath the blue and lavender but I am wanting to know if they have gold or silver under that.
Are you trying to figure out if your roosters are silver/silver or silver/gold?

Last edited:
Could I use a golden phoenix? That is what I have on hand right now.
Golden are supposed to be S/s+ so they are not good for test breeding. Also it' just not any gold based birds, they must carry very powerful columbian restrictors to be able to show leakage color on Extended black birds otherwise they will just hatch all black and feathered all black until adulthood where the males will get some leakage on hackles/saddles

Back
Top Bottom