The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I'm having a difficult time telling what color and patterns this guy has...and what the chicks from these two might look like.
Both are Satins
image.jpg 20230115_124818.jpg 20220903_151024.jpg image.jpg

I'm having a difficult time telling what color and patterns this guy has...and what the chicks from these two might look like.
Both are Satins

I don't know what e-locus and other patterning genes are involved, to determine which part is gold/silver and which part is black.

But I can answer some of the more basic points:

He's got silver, and may be carrying gold
She's gold

So you will get silver daughters, and silver sons carrying gold. These silver chicks will be either all of the chicks (if the father is pure for silver) or half the chicks (if the father carries gold.)

If the father is carrying gold, about half the chicks of each gender will be gold.

Breeding two Satins will give lots of Satins. You might get 25% silkie-feathered chicks (if both parents are carrying the silkie gene), or you might not (if at least one parent is pure for normal feathering.)

I would expect traits like crest, feathered feet, black skin, and so forth to be present in all the chicks.

I don't know what e-locus and other patterning genes are involved, to determine which part is gold/silver and which part is black.

But I can answer some of the more basic points:

He's got silver, and may be carrying gold
She's gold

So you will get silver daughters, and silver sons carrying gold. These silver chicks will be either all of the chicks (if the father is pure for silver) or half the chicks (if the father carries gold.)

If the father is carrying gold, about half the chicks of each gender will be gold.

Breeding two Satins will give lots of Satins. You might get 25% silkie-feathered chicks (if both parents are carrying the silkie gene), or you might not (if at least one parent is pure for normal feathering.)

I would expect traits like crest, feathered feet, black skin, and so forth to be present in all the chicks.
Ok thank you!
I'm particularly interested in the lacing/penciling she has...he is developing more and more as his new feathers come in. Here's one of his new hackle feathers.
Would they all carry that as well?
He has some other type of pattern on his chest but I can't identify it...can you?
20221207_152929.jpg

Ok thank you!
I'm particularly interested in the lacing/penciling she has...he is developing more and more as his new feathers come in. Here's one of his new hackle feathers.
Would they all carry that as well?
He has some other type of pattern on his chest but I can't identify it...can you?
Unfortunately, I'm not able to identify what's going on there.

Hopefully one of the other people who read this thread will be able to help.
Maybe @Amer ?

Hello how are you. I have another Australorp question for you. All my black Australorp hens have slate legs and white feet like they should. My rooster, however, has slate legs with yellow feet. I'm hoping that means the chicks will be sexlinked by foot color. Could u clarify this for me plz. Thank you
Slate legs with yellow feet sounds like he may be id+/id+(slate legs) and w/w(yellow pigmentation) ? But i don’t know for sure, E-locus also affects leg color.
I don’t think they will be sexlinked. the dermis layer color genes (id+, Id) are sex-linked, where males have two copies and females one. If his only difference is yellow soles, that means the epidermis layer is yellow, affected by w/w which is autosmal and recessive.
I think you’ll just end up with slate legged birds with white soles, carrying recessive yellow, unless your hens carry the yellow pigmentation gene as well, where you may end up getting some with slate legs and yellow soles, sex having no role in inheritance.

Both are Satins
View attachment 3420364View attachment 3420366View attachment 3420367View attachment 3420369
He's Incomplete Columbian. He also looks Gold/Silver Split.

The hens/pullet, are both a partridge pattern.

So, I'd expect half to be Columbian, & the other half partridge. Silver, & Gold Female offspring, & Silver, Gold, or Gold/Silver Split Male offspring.

Hello how are you. I have another Australorp question for you. All my black Australorp hens have slate legs and white feet like they should. My rooster, however, has slate legs with yellow feet. I'm hoping that means the chicks will be sexlinked by foot color. Could u clarify this for me plz. Thank you

I don't know skin-color sexlinking, but yellow skin means that your fellow isn't an Australorp. :)

He's most likely either a Jersey Giant or a crossbreed.

I don't know skin-color sexlinking, but yellow skin means that your fellow isn't an Australorp. :)

He's most likely either a Jersey Giant or a crossbreed.
I ordered them from hoover hatchery. They were hatched on Jan 4. Here's picks of them now. Do u think I could have got 1 jerzy on accident I started with 12 and sold the rest. This roo is the only one with yellow feet

Attachments

• IMG_20230303_135824643.jpg
    IMG_20230303_135824643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230303_135824643.jpg
    IMG_20230303_135824643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230303_135844392.jpg
    IMG_20230303_135844392.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Slate legs with yellow feet sounds like he may be id+/id+(slate legs) and w/w(yellow pigmentation) ? But i don’t know for sure, E-locus also affects leg color.
I don’t think they will be sexlinked. the dermis layer color genes (id+, Id) are sex-linked, where males have two copies and females one. If his only difference is yellow soles, that means the epidermis layer is yellow, affected by w/w which is autosmal and recessive.
I think you’ll just end up with slate legged birds with white soles, carrying recessive yellow, unless your hens carry the yellow pigmentation gene as well, where you may end up getting some with slate legs and yellow soles, sex having no role in inheritance.
Thank you so much for ur well explained, and in depth answer

Back
Top Bottom