The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pictures...
This was the best I could get? I put arrows toward the more yellowy bits. There were other “dirty gray” patches on the shoulders. Still would characterize them as gray (lavender), just yellow-toned in spots
084425FE-B08D-42D9-AA9E-4F1E0AD6B18B.jpeg

This was the best I could get? I put arrows toward the more yellowy bits. There were other “dirty gray” patches on the shoulders. Still would characterize them as gray (lavender), just yellow-toned in spots View attachment 3471083
Should add - I won’t be keeping all, so if any seem like a better bet to be a pullet, or closer to SOP, let me know. In that order. (I can’t keep roosters 😢).

This was the best I could get? I put arrows toward the more yellowy bits. There were other “dirty gray” patches on the shoulders. Still would characterize them as gray (lavender), just yellow-toned in spots View attachment 3471083
It must be my screen, but the chicks look blue to me. Normal variation can be expected on chick down

🤷‍♀️. Hatchery could have lied to me - they just came in an assortment, but this hatchery (Mt Healthy) doesn’t list blue orps on their website. They are substantially lighter than my olive egger chick who appears to be blue (with perhaps some barring coming in?)

D1F60ABE-2325-4C78-B354-DC885E2EB2EC.jpeg

Either way, the lady who wanted them already claimed all but one - kept the “silvery-est” because the only thing I could find about gold leakage referred to roosters (https://onceuponachicken.com/inheritance-of-lavender-in-chickens/)

But looking online at hatchery photos, I’m seeing quite a few chicks with yellowish tinges to the fluff. Guess we will see how she (or he) develops.

🤷‍♀️. Hatchery could have lied to me - they just came in an assortment, but this hatchery (Mt Healthy) doesn’t list blue orps on their website. They are substantially lighter than my olive egger chick who appears to be blue (with perhaps some barring coming in?)

View attachment 3471159

Either way, the lady who wanted them already claimed all but one - kept the “silvery-est” because the only thing I could find about gold leakage referred to roosters (https://onceuponachicken.com/inheritance-of-lavender-in-chickens/)

But looking online at hatchery photos, I’m seeing quite a few chicks with yellowish tinges to the fluff. Guess we will see how she (or he) develops.
Providing pictures of my 4 lavender orpington hens as chicks for reference.

20230417_144504.jpg
20230417_144526.jpg
20230417_144548.jpg
20230417_144609.jpg

I believe the ones with the most yellow underbellys have the mottleing that showed up. But all are definitely female.

I hatched out some more chicks from my bantam cochin/bantam cochin silkie mix flock, and I think I got more silkied chicks? I just want other thoughts on the matter, I don’t like making assumptions by myself.
3 have super frayed wing feathering so far, way more excessive than the feathering of the frizzles. 2 of the frayed wing feather chicks are also frizzled, so I included a comparison photo.
normal frizzled-
90B33A54-8E07-4BF3-BB9D-BE881EAD514E.jpeg

Frayed wing feathers-
5A619D28-91DB-419A-8EA5-DF610D337329.jpeg
84F832C1-6208-4E69-B6AA-11CAD5D082E8.jpeg

I hatched out some more chicks from my bantam cochin/bantam cochin silkie mix flock, and I think I got more silkied chicks? I just want other thoughts on the matter, I don’t like making assumptions by myself.
3 have super frayed wing feathering so far, way more excessive than the feathering of the frizzles. 2 of the frayed wing feather chicks are also frizzled, so I included a comparison photo.
normal frizzled-View attachment 3471626

Frayed wing feathers-View attachment 3471625View attachment 3471624
Those are silkied. So both parents carry a copy of the Silkie gene.

@nicalandia, the brown chicks are partridge. I also have a question.

How often is it, that a Barred chick(obvious headspot), feather out not Barred? I see no Barring on my Brown Barred chick. Just lots of brown, & black.

Back
Top Bottom