The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

What would cause a Silkie to be crestless? I have one Silkie chick without a crest.

I have no problems with it, I can still use her.

Maybe because crest is a dominant gene.

So it is possible for two parents to have crests, and each carry the recessive gene for no crest. From such parents, about 1/4 of chicks would be expected to have no crest.

Or depending on the age of the chick, maybe it does have a crest (genetically) but the feathers haven't grown enough for it to be obvious yet.

Maybe because crest is a dominant gene.

So it is possible for two parents to have crests, and each carry the recessive gene for no crest. From such parents, about 1/4 of chicks would be expected to have no crest.

Or depending on the age of the chick, maybe it does have a crest (genetically) but the feathers haven't grown enough for it to be obvious yet.
So, it missed out on the floofy head.

Chick is fully feathered, & ready for outside. No crest.

The pink tonails and pink toe tips usually disappear as the bird matures. I wouldn't say it 's a good thing, but it might not be catostrophic either. If there is a way to tell that an adult had pink tonails/tips as a chick, then I don't know what it is. Unless, perhaps, it is some mulberry showing up in rooster's comb later in life. It doesn't seem to show up at all in old hens. Mine were all like that. Just one of the reasons I hate them.
What are the other reasons you hate them?

Back
Top Bottom