The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

In that case I would not expect the mother to carry mottling, because hatcheries tend to keep their OEGB sorted into single-color flocks. But sometimes a chicken will have unexpected genes, so I can't be positive either way.
Can I ask a question about newly hatched chicks or is this just for genetics?

Just want to give a headsup, ive found them horribly difficult to raise. I've never made it to sexing age with the ones I've tried to bring in from multiple sources. I'd try and find an actual breeder if possible
I've gotten yokos from McMurry and Cackle. I didn't have any problems raising them. It's hot where I am though. They definitely handle heat very well.

@nicalandia Have you ever heard of a gene or combination of genes resulting in the complete lack of the uropygial gland, or maybe reduction to the point of being very hard to find? I've just today discovered that many of my silkied Cochins have doubled uropygial glands, so I was looking at most of them to see how many had that trait and could not find uropygial glands at all on two of them. 🤔

@nicalandia Have you ever heard of a gene or combination of genes resulting in the complete lack of the uropygial gland, or maybe reduction to the point of being very hard to find? I've just today discovered that many of my silkied Cochins have doubled uropygial glands, so I was looking at most of them to see how many had that trait and could not find uropygial glands at all on two of them. 🤔

I find something in the book "Genetics of the Fowl" by J.B. Hutt
Cornell University has the book available to read for free online.
https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/chla2837819
(If the link doesn't work, you can probably find it by a google search)

Page 99 discusses a gene that affects the uropygial gland. Heterozygotes (one copy of the gene) have the doubling, while homozygotes (two copies of the gene) have the missing gland. Both forms are a bit variable in how they express.

Back
Top Bottom