The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Well shoot, I actually have a physical copy of that book sitting next to me here at my computer! I was looking in a more recent book (that Nicalandia sent me) and I figured it wouldn't have anything that wasn't in the newer book. Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!

Edit, whoops, nevermind, I guess I missed a line when reading the other book--it mentions that as well. 🤦‍♀️

Fawn Silver Duckwing is Silver Duckwing with a copy of the dun gene, a partially dominant dilution gene allelic to dominant white (I^d). Since the dun gene is partially dominant, if a bird has any copies of it, it expresses in some capacity. In other words, no, Silver Duckwing individuals out of Fawn Silver Duckwing parents are not carrying the gene, they simply did not inherit it and are pure Silver Duckwing. The gene behaves like the blue gene, in that a bird that inherits a blue gene is blue, there is no carrying of that gene and individuals out of Blue x Blue breedings are not mixed color.

The variety referred to as a 'sport' that comes out of Fawn SDW is actually just Khaki Silver Duckwing, two copies of the dun gene for the full dilution effect, similar to Splash out of Blue breedings. Breeding Khaki SDW (I^d/I^d) to regular SDW (i+/i+) will produce all Fawn SDW offspring (I^d/i+), just like breeding Splash (Bl/Bl) to Black (bl+/bl+) will produce all Blue offspring (Bl/bl+).
Thank you! That’s very interesting! So if I breed a blue to a fawn and they hatch out blue they’re pure blue.

Thank you! That’s very interesting! So if I breed a blue to a fawn and they hatch out blue they’re pure blue.

I believe so, yes. Breeding Blue to Fawn would result in roughly equal numbers of Black offspring (i+/i+ bl+bl+), Blue offspring (i+/i+ Bl/bl+), Fawn offspring (I^d/i+ bl+bl+), and offspring that have both blue and dun genes (I^d/i+ Bl/bl+). I believe the combination of the blue and dun genes is called Platinum, but I don't remember that for sure. I'm also not sure if Platinum is a distinct enough color from Blue to know for sure at hatch whether one is pure Blue or possibly Platinum.

Question if a chicken has both chocolate and lavender genes. Say enough for the chicken to be chocolate and lavender at the same time what would it look like?
Lavender
Mparelgrijsuitgebreid (1).jpg

Chocolate
Mbruinuitgebreid.jpg

Chocolate x Lavender
Mparelgrijsuitgebreid (1).jpg

An interesting question. I've never heard of anyone trying to combine the colors, nor obviously have I ever seen such a bird. When plugged into the chicken calculator, as Troyer's post shows, it simply proclaims the bird Lavender despite the presence of both genes.

But, when you put Mauve into the calculator, it also uses the same image as it does for Lavender, despite acknowledging that the bird is instead Mauve. 🤔

I suppose I can see the similarities in the two varieties. Mauve is paler than Blue, like Lavender is, but almost a creamy gray color instead of the sort of silvery gray of Lavender. You can especially see the effect of the chocolate gene in the lacing at the edge of a Mauve bird's feathers, where the pigment granules on a regular Blue bird tend to be physically similar to those in Black plumage. Lavender, of course, does not have that lacing. So if I were to guess, I would say that the combination of the two genes, chocolate and lavender, would end up being quite similar to plain Lavender, maybe with the same sort of creamy tones that Mauve has but without the brown lacing, or maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom