The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

There is a thread on here asking about it and why its I guess frowned upon to cross the two colors. I'll add a link in a few when I find it again.

Breeding Chocolate and Lavender

It may be frowned upon for the same reason that breeding Blue to Lavender is frowned upon, because generally speaking it's difficult to tell a pure Lavender bird from a Blue Lavender bird. So maybe it's hard to tell a pure Lavender from a Chocolate Lavender as well? I do notice that the rooster in the link that RAA provided is pretty distinct from a Lavender rooster, but perhaps the same can't be said for the hens with both genes expressed? The hens in the background with the Blue Lavender Orp rooster do look pretty similar to pure Lavender hens. 🤔

It may be frowned upon for the same reason that breeding Blue to Lavender is frowned upon, because generally speaking it's difficult to tell a pure Lavender bird from a Blue Lavender bird. So maybe it's hard to tell a pure Lavender from a Chocolate Lavender as well? I do notice that the rooster in the link that RAA provided is pretty distinct from a Lavender rooster, but perhaps the same can't be said for the hens with both genes expressed? The hens in the background with the Blue Lavender Orp rooster do look pretty similar to pure Lavender hens. 🤔
Well, blue lavenders are pretty hard to tell from light blues or splashes, and I imagine they could be pretty hard to tell from lighter mauves, khakis, etc.

An interesting question. I've never heard of anyone trying to combine the colors, nor obviously have I ever seen such a bird. When plugged into the chicken calculator, as Troyer's post shows, it simply proclaims the bird Lavender despite the presence of both genes.

But, when you put Mauve into the calculator, it also uses the same image as it does for Lavender, despite acknowledging that the bird is instead Mauve. 🤔

I suppose I can see the similarities in the two varieties. Mauve is paler than Blue, like Lavender is, but almost a creamy gray color instead of the sort of silvery gray of Lavender. You can especially see the effect of the chocolate gene in the lacing at the edge of a Mauve bird's feathers, where the pigment granules on a regular Blue bird tend to be physically similar to those in Black plumage. Lavender, of course, does not have that lacing. So if I were to guess, I would say that the combination of the two genes, chocolate and lavender, would end up being quite similar to plain Lavender, maybe with the same sort of creamy tones that Mauve has but without the brown lacing, or maybe not.
I agree with your hypothesis.
Some of the blending of these lighter colors including blue, dun and chocolate into Lavender will yield a variety of shades that could well look similar to each other and produce fairly diverse shades even within the various colors. It seems to me that chocolate and lavender are likely more stable in producing even coloring than blue and dun.

I believe so, yes. Breeding Blue to Fawn would result in roughly equal numbers of Black offspring (i+/i+ bl+bl+), Blue offspring (i+/i+ Bl/bl+), Fawn offspring (I^d/i+ bl+bl+), and offspring that have both blue and dun genes (I^d/i+ Bl/bl+). I believe the combination of the blue and dun genes is called Platinum, but I don't remember that for sure. I'm also not sure if Platinum is a distinct enough color from Blue to know for sure at hatch whether one is pure Blue or possibly Platinum.
Thanks!

I believe so, yes. Breeding Blue to Fawn would result in roughly equal numbers of Black offspring (i+/i+ bl+bl+), Blue offspring (i+/i+ Bl/bl+), Fawn offspring (I^d/i+ bl+bl+), and offspring that have both blue and dun genes (I^d/i+ Bl/bl+). I believe the combination of the blue and dun genes is called Platinum, but I don't remember that for sure. I'm also not sure if Platinum is a distinct enough color from Blue to know for sure at hatch whether one is pure Blue or possibly Platinum.
I found the platinum color
10841257-B4AE-46A5-9021-E75D728B5B0B.png

Compared to my blue, there is a difference in shade. (Though I think she might be lavender)
2BBC9F55-8F4D-48DB-9CA0-34D398A2AC29.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom