The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Lavender affects pheomelanin but cream has no effect on eumelanin.
Yes, but Lavender effects pheomelanin AND eumelanin. This is my question. Will the two diluters have a double effect on the gold ground color? And then the question is, is it a double effect? ig has less effect on ground color, i.e. the "lemon" color or "cream, where lavender effect is a "straw' color, lighter than the cream gene.

If we take a "porcelain" colored bird (lav mille fleur) and cross with a "lemon mille fleur" and then cross the F1, what is the effect? I have to assume that people who raise both have tried it but have not been able to find an example.

Here's an odd chick that hatched the other day

View attachment 3499118
View attachment 3499119
I have this same thing occurring in my flock of red bantam cochin/silkie crosses, if its alright to chime in. I’ve never seen it mature to anything more than just a dark gray beak, and the rest of the skin remains light, but that being said I currently only have one adult with the trait. I assumed it was a conjoined affect of the e-allele(my birds are at least partially wheaten based, which I've heard inhibits fibromelanism) and them, for the most part, carrying Id.
9610764F-5559-4965-B2FC-28828ED246AC.jpeg

This is my one adult hen. Her beak is a dark gray, and has been since I purchased her. Aside from that, she shows no signs of fibromelanism, even in in the face.
9D2957C4-0E67-49D3-B407-6835F5AE1006.jpeg

This, above, is a pullet I bred off of the hen, and she showed the trait somewhat. I sold her.
CB3D4A24-1DD1-434F-A3D2-482E8D0F029B.png

I also have this chick, who you can see the black beak and light shanks on. This is an outdated photo(by a month), but I can grab a new one tomorrow to see if the chick still shows the same difference in beak to leg color, or what it’s skin color is.

Was that the first chick you got with this trait? I’m quite curious to see how it behaves in another person‘s flock, which is why I’m curious. Not trying to be overbearing or anything.

This is the thread to ask anything related to genetics to me. I have Asperger's syndrome. I have poor social skills and can't understand sarcasm so science/numbers/genetics have come very easy to understand.

Ask away.
Would like your opinion on if chicks are sexable at hatch from a Cream Legbar rooster over a Barred Rock hen?

Has there been any real research into the effects of lav/lav ig/ig genes? Are they epistatic? hypostatic? Or is there any anecdotal evidence? i.e. are the dilution effects cumulative? The only breed of chicken I know with both genes are the opal legbars. It's clear from looking at them that the lav gene dilutes the eumelanine to self-blue but my question is whether the two diluters have a double effect on the pheomelanine. Is it 2x the effects of one diluter or do they have different amount of dilution? The only instance of a supposed lav/lav ig/ig bird I have found is on a d'Anvers, besides opal legbars. The legbars are difficult to assess because of all the genetics involved and disruption of the pattern.
In the Opals there should be three Pheomelanin diluters. Recessive Cream, Sex linked Barring And Lavender. I said Should because those Opals clearly are lacking cream. The gold should be Silver by now, there are Plain old CCL in the UK that look nearly Silver.

What most Opals males look like.
0e82f8_218762832a2b41a8a649cdf543876f75~mv2.jpg

Correct Colored CCL rooster(Diuted by Cream and Double Barring)
Cream-Legbar-1.jpg

This is how a triple diluted CCL should look
hredirect2.png

Last edited:
I thought this chick was pure Australorp. The way her chest feathers are coming in make me wonder if the father isn’t a ccl. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 7CEB337F-BF2D-428F-A33B-1A40E02C6622.jpeg
    7CEB337F-BF2D-428F-A33B-1A40E02C6622.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 461CC7DE-292B-4DB0-A0E7-D78A1A7E59D0.jpeg
    461CC7DE-292B-4DB0-A0E7-D78A1A7E59D0.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 11
  • 8D54295B-B3D3-4E2D-B7A4-8A17A1B22C35.jpeg
    8D54295B-B3D3-4E2D-B7A4-8A17A1B22C35.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom