The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I didn't realize they shared that much in common, maybe I could use both breeds, and I could create a single combed Dominique, unless that is just a Barred rock. So I would be able to make an auto-sexing color strain of the Dominique? Would I be able to introduce some genes from Europeans auto-sexing breeds , and implement those colors into the Dominiques, and simultaneously introduce the rose comb into these breeds? Sorry if this is too much.
Pretty much just a barred rock

Hello! I posted this elsewhere but think you may be able to help me. I hatched my first chicks, a blue australorp roo to black EE hens with beards and a crème crested legbar hen. I got four chicks, two black and two blue, I was wondering who the blues would be from? Is there any way to tell their sex at this age? Thank you

Attachments

• C5DECDC8-EAE5-47C8-AF23-A8BD1BB62BA6.jpeg
    C5DECDC8-EAE5-47C8-AF23-A8BD1BB62BA6.jpeg
    907.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C6BE54C3-B0B0-48A2-B995-112EB1EB7287.jpeg
    C6BE54C3-B0B0-48A2-B995-112EB1EB7287.jpeg
    845.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 6CDCD381-29F1-438B-9A8C-E173DBECFDFD.jpeg
    6CDCD381-29F1-438B-9A8C-E173DBECFDFD.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3A818F66-AC9D-4D92-80C8-69940CF12C8B.jpeg
    3A818F66-AC9D-4D92-80C8-69940CF12C8B.jpeg
    486 KB · Views: 9
  • DFE3CB5F-487A-4C27-8978-72F8CC44CD54.jpeg
    DFE3CB5F-487A-4C27-8978-72F8CC44CD54.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 10
Hello! I posted this elsewhere but think you may be able to help me. I hatched my first chicks, a blue australorp roo to black EE hens with beards and a crème crested legbar hen. I got four chicks, two black and two blue, I was wondering who the blues would be from? Is there any way to tell their sex at this age? Thank you
For telling their sex: if any of them have white barring, they are males, and the Legbar is their mother. Barring could show up as a light spot on the head (I don't see any of those in the photos), and will cause white bars across the feathers when they grow them.

For chicks with no barring, you will have to wait until they grow enough to show other traits.

For which mother:
Black vs. blue can come from either kind of hen.

Cream Legbar may produce chicks with crests, and will produce sons with white barring. Will not produce chicks with muff/beard on the face, or with pea combs. The crest is usually not visible until they have grown some head feathers. If a chick shows a crest but no white barring, it must have a Legbar mother and be female.

EE with beards & pea combs may produce chicks with muff/beard on the face, may produce chicks with pea combs, will not produce chicks with crests, will not produce chicks with white barring. Muff/beard often shows up as puffy cheeks in chicks, but can be hard to see in some photos (I don't notice it in any of these photos.)

If you get a pullet with a single comb, no beard, no crest, no barring, you will not know for sure which mother she had. I think that is the only combination that you won't be able to tell.

In the first photo of two blue chicks, the one on the right has a pea comb. Its mother must be an EE.

The second photo has two black chicks, with the one on the left having a single comb. It may have the Legbar mother, but there is a chance of an EE mother producing a single comb chick, so you will have to see what other traits show as it grows. A crest or white barring would prove that the Legbar is the mother of that one.

In the photo with 4 chicks, the blue one on the right might have a single comb, but I'm not entirely sure. If it has a single comb, the mother options are the same as I just said for the black chick with a single comb.

I cannot see the comb type on the other black chick.

I am not seeing barring or muff/beard on any of the chicks. I do not see any crests either, but I would not expect to see them until the chicks are a bit older.

When I add in the blue egg gene into my LF silkies for my Rainbow Laying Silkies side project(haven't been able to start), should I use an EE, Green Queen, Olive Egger, Cream Legbar, or Ameraucana? Which would be the best choice?
All but 2 of my EEs lay some shade of blue/green.

When I add in the blue egg gene into my LF silkies for my Rainbow Laying Silkies side project(haven't been able to start), should I use an EE, Green Queen, Olive Egger, Cream Legbar, or Ameraucana? Which would be the best choice?
All but 2 of my EEs lay some shade of blue/green.

If you want proper Silkie combs (which require the pea comb gene), then use a breed that has pea combs. So not the Legbar, and not a single comb EE or single comb OE. The gene for blue egg is linked to the gene for pea comb, so the blue egg/not-pea pairing would give you trouble.

For the others, maybe look at how many traits they have in common with Silkies (feathered feet, muff/beard, comb type, body shape, maybe feather colors that you want.)

If you care about how shade of blue or green in the eggs, consider that when choosing.

Last edited:
If you want proper Silkie comb (which require the pea comb gene), then use a breed that has pea combs. So not the Legbar, and not a single comb EE or single comb OE. The gene for blue egg is linked to the gene for pea comb, so the blue egg/not-pea pairing would give you trouble.

For the others, maybe look at how many traits they have in common with Silkies (feathered feet, muff/beard, comb type, body shape, maybe feather colors that you want.)

If you care about how shade of blue or green in the eggs, consider that when choosing.
My Olive Egger - Pea Comb, Spurs, Light Turquoise Eggs(Used to lay dark olive), Feather color Black.

Green Queen - Pea Comb, lightly feathered legs, lays almost Teal, with blue green speckles occasionally, feather color is Blue Wheaten, Duckwing split.

Ameraucana - Black, Pea comb, egg color a darkish blue, egg type is glossy.

EEs lay: Light Blue, Dark Turquoise, & light grayish turquoise. Colors of them are mostly variations of blue partridge. One EE is Fibro, & currently broody. They all are pea combed.

There is a difference in type between show quality of both breeds, but hatchery BRs and hatchery Dominiques have basically the same type.
Oh, thank you. I was actually referring to the show-quality of both breeds, since hatchery breeds aren't usually the same compared to their brethren. So I could make a single-combed Dominique.

My Olive Egger - Pea Comb, Spurs, Light Turquoise Eggs(Used to lay dark olive), Feather color Black.

Green Queen - Pea Comb, lightly feathered legs, lays almost Teal, with blue green speckles occasionally, feather color is Blue Wheaten, Duckwing split.

Ameraucana - Black, Pea comb, egg color a darkish blue, egg type is glossy.

EEs lay: Light Blue, Dark Turquoise, & light grayish turquoise. Colors of them are mostly variations of blue partridge. One EE is Fibro, & currently broody. They all are pea combed.
I would use Ameraucana. Weirdly they have thrown sports with silkied feathers before. Not sure that means anything here tho.

Back
Top Bottom