The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

oh neat! i know nothing of genetics but love seeing what random colors and patterns i get from crossing my purebreeds. What would i get from crossing a black jersey giant rooster with a lavender orphington hen? Would the chances theyll be as large as the dad?
They would also be all black, carrying recessive lavender

They would also be all black, carrying recessive lavender
Ah i see ty. I crossed the Jersey Giant roo with a few other pure hens of different breeds so i figured the black color would win out but noticed a few with odd colors. One of my previous chicks that i gave to a friend that was a jersey giant x black laced silver Wyandotte had the hens pattern but instead of the silver it was a reddish color so no idea where that came from. if the roo was a white jersey giant would the hens color come out more? sry really sont know anything about genetics

Ah i see ty. I crossed the Jersey Giant roo with a few other pure hens of different breeds so i figured the black color would win out but noticed a few with odd colors. One of my previous chicks that i gave to a friend that was a jersey giant x black laced silver Wyandotte had the hens pattern but instead of the silver it was a reddish color so no idea where that came from. if the roo was a white jersey giant would the hens color come out more? sry really sont know anything about genetics
The gold/red was actually from the rooster, all chickens are either silver or gold (and roosters can be both), so he must have passed down the gold gene, turning the laced pattern from silver to red.

I believe white jersey giants are recessive white, so they can produce solid white chicks (if bred to another recessive white or recessive white carrier) or the pattern under the white will show up in the chicks. However, white JGs are probably black under the white, so the offspring will most likely look the same as the black JG’s offspring.

The gold/red was actually from the rooster, all chickens are either silver or gold (and roosters can be both), so he must have passed down the gold gene, turning the laced pattern from silver to red.

I believe white jersey giants are recessive white, so they can produce solid white chicks (if bred to another recessive white or recessive white carrier) or the pattern under the white will show up in the chicks. However, white JGs are probably black under the white, so the offspring will most likely look the same as the black JG’s offspring.
oh so even though hes a black roo he can throw gold/red? thats kinda neat. i didnt know that

Depending on what hen he’s bred to, yes
Its more Complex than that. Extended black e allele is the most dominant allele and when cross to nearly all patterns based on ER eb and e+ the progeny will look nearly completely Black with some leakage(that's where you can see if its gold or Silver based)

When Crossed to Wheaten based Columbian the pattern is what I call pseudo Birchen/,Brown Red

Back
Top Bottom