The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

How much does hybrid vigor decrease in the F2 generation?

I have two bators full of eggs from the LegO project (E.Orp + Leghorn). The first generation grew so fast it was a little shocking. They've turned out a good size. I'm selling off the hens to make space, so I sure hope I set enough eggs to get a good keeper or two to put back with the E.Orp.

I don't understand the legs of this F1 hen. All her siblings have pale white skin like their dad.

LOhen1.jpg

Sister:

LOhen2.jpg

Last edited:
How much does hybrid vigor decrease in the F2 generation?
It depends on many factors but its usually 50% of the Original F1 heterosis. I will try to explain.

Parent A breed weight is 8 pounds,
Parent B breed weight is 10 pounds.

F1 is expected to weigh the average + around 10-15% so that would mean= That F1 should weig about 10.35 pounds themselves. But F2 would 9.6 pounds.

What's your hypothetical breed idea?
To make a breed with most or all of the weird or rare traits found in many breeds and put it into one bird. It would be a bird with Fibro, Naked necks, crests, vulture hocks, fifth toes, yellow skin ( to make the skin green ), silkied, frizzled, and normal feathering, with other feather-types if there is any, lobster tail, able to fly, broodiness, moderate egg-laying, moderate meat, blue eggs from both Chinese and South American mutations, great foraging ability, depending on the strain entirely self-sufficient, or nearly self-sufficient, high predator awareness, and a lot more that I have to remember.

To make a breed with most or all of the weird or rare traits found in many breeds and put it into one bird. It would be a bird with Fibro, Naked necks, crests, vulture hocks, fifth toes, yellow skin ( to make the skin green ), silkied, frizzled, and normal feathering, with other feather-types if there is any, lobster tail, able to fly, broodiness, moderate egg-laying, moderate meat, blue eggs from both Chinese and South American mutations, great foraging ability, depending on the strain entirely self-sufficient, or nearly self-sufficient, high predator awareness, and a lot more that I have to remember.
Sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom