The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Given you know, I’m quite curious; how do you tell the difference between e+ down and eb down?
While both may show a dorsal stripe pattern, they lack a well defined head/neck stripes

1686703924423.png

Thanks
So I’ll get this color when I breed my light Brahma bantam to my buff Brahma bantam roo. Will the chicks carry any of the light Brahma color? Or will the chicks be pure color even though I’m not breed buff to buff, like when u breed fawn duckwing to silver duckwing

That will be a sex-linked cross.

All chicks will have the Columbian color pattern (the black parts will be in the same places on all chicks, just like on both parents.)

The daughters will be gold (or buff or something similar.) They will not carry the silver gene, so you could consider them "pure" for gold.

The sons will show silver (the color of Light Brahmas), but may look a bit yellowish when they grow up instead of having a nice clean white. They will also carry the gold gene. That means they can give either gold or silver to any chicks they produce after they grow up.

It works this way because the gold/silver gene is on the Z sex chromosome.

A rooster has sex chromosomes ZZ. So he can be pure gold, or pure silver, or he can have gold on one Z chromosome and silver on the other (like cockerels from this cross.)

A hen has sex chromosomes ZW. Because the hen only has one Z chromosome, she can have gold, or she can have silver, but she can never have both. She inherits W from her mother and gives W to her daughters (that is what makes them female.) She inherits Z from her father (with either gold or silver on that Z chromosome), and gives Z to her sons.

I use this as a reference. The quality isn't great though.View attachment 3541280
Thanks for the extra reference, saving it for future use. It sort of makes sense now; but also because as soon as Nicalandia said the difference, I looked up a bunch of hatchery photos of eb breeds vs e+ ones. @nicalandia I also appreciate you telling me; never made sense until now how people could tell one down type from another.

Can some tell me what would be expected from these two crosses:

Buff Silkie roo X bhrama Isabella hen
Buff Silkie rou X bhrama white hen

Chicks should have normal feathers (not silkie-type feathers).
They will have feathered feet, crested heads, probably Silkie-type combs, probably the extra toe on each foot. If the Silkie rooster has a beard, his chicks are likely to have beards too.

For color, the Buff x Isabella will probably produce chicks that grow up to have lots of gold (or buff or red) and a bit of black.

Whites are hard to predict, so Buff x White could produce white chicks, or black chicks, or mostly-gold chicks (with a bit of black or white on them), or sex-linked chicks (gold daughters & silver sons), or quite a few other options. It depends on which genes are causing the white, and which other genes are present but not visible. You should not get all those colors from the same white hen, it's just that I cannot say which ones you will get.

That will be a sex-linked cross.

All chicks will have the Columbian color pattern (the black parts will be in the same places on all chicks, just like on both parents.)

The daughters will be gold (or buff or something similar.) They will not carry the silver gene, so you could consider them "pure" for gold.

The sons will show silver (the color of Light Brahmas), but may look a bit yellowish when they grow up instead of having a nice clean white. They will also carry the gold gene. That means they can give either gold or silver to any chicks they produce after they grow up.

It works this way because the gold/silver gene is on the Z sex chromosome.

A rooster has sex chromosomes ZZ. So he can be pure gold, or pure silver, or he can have gold on one Z chromosome and silver on the other (like cockerels from this cross.)

A hen has sex chromosomes ZW. Because the hen only has one Z chromosome, she can have gold, or she can have silver, but she can never have both. She inherits W from her mother and gives W to her daughters (that is what makes them female.) She inherits Z from her father (with either gold or silver on that Z chromosome), and gives Z to her sons.
So I should just sell the chicks as mixed color or just not breed her with my buff Brahma pair.

Chicks should have normal feathers (not silkie-type feathers).
They will have feathered feet, crested heads, probably Silkie-type combs, probably the extra toe on each foot. If the Silkie rooster has a beard, his chicks are likely to have beards too.

Is there a way to retain the Silkie feathers?

And would they have black skin?

For color, the Buff x Isabella will probably produce chicks that grow up to have lots of gold (or buff or red) and a bit of black.

Wow... Didn't notice that it would be a colour roulette.

By breeding the F1 generation would it be possible to get the Isabella colour again?

Back
Top Bottom