The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

It would take a couple generations. But I think buff would be easier to breed out than duckwing, and definitely easier than white
If buff is a wheaten base it'll be substantially more difficult to get solid black roosters than if a duckwing or partridge base is used.

If buff is a wheaten base it'll be substantially more difficult to get solid black roosters than if a duckwing or partridge base is used.
This is correct, I would go with brown leghorns, they are basically all wildtype e+ so when crossed with Black Minorca they would produce more black birds. Also Brown Leghorn rooster crossed to California Grey hen, this would introduce the Extended Black.

Sadly I just can't get Black Leghorns so I might give your "Recipe" a try. Start with a Black Minocoras male over what .. a Brown Leghorn ?

This is correct, I would go with brown leghorns, they are basically all wildtype e+ so when crossed with Black Minorca they would produce more black birds. Also Brown Leghorn rooster crossed to California Grey hen, this would introduce the Extended Black.

What is the reason for avoiding White Leghorns?
I thought they had an E+ base, which would be good.
And they are widely available and have been strongly selected for good egg production.

Obviously the White Leghorns have Dominant White, and I've read that they often have barring and blue and maybe other genes that dilute black or add white-- is it just easier to work with a different e-locus (Brown Leghorn) than to breed out all the other genes involved in the White Leghorn color?

And they are widely available and have been strongly selected for good egg production.

Obviously the White Leghorns have Dominant White, and I've read that they often have barring and blue and maybe other genes that dilute black or add white-- is it just easier to work with a different e-locus (Brown Leghorn) than to breed out all the other genes involved in the White Leghorn color?

I'm wondering about this as well. 🤔 Since White Leghorns are dominant white, they would have to be based on E or maybe ER with melanizers to blot out the birchen patterning as I would think dominant white would let red pigment through from the other e-locus genes, so I would have considered them the ideal candidates for the job...

White leghorns can also hide recessive mottling and many genes that will show up later on the breeding project

Are they incompletely spangled then? I’m not fully understanding how they have the pretty solid white bodies but only show spotting on their chests, undersides, and somewhat in their tails.
I believe that is incompletely spangled.

One of the gold spangled Spitzhauben I just got from Cackle.
20230701_192225.jpg

Are they incompletely spangled then? I’m not fully understanding how they have the pretty solid white bodies but only show spotting on their chests, undersides, and somewhat in their tails.
They are lacking Pg on their make up, they are ER/ER, Ml/Ml-pg+/pg+-Db/Db

Back
Top Bottom