The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

This was based on studies. You can find them in Genetics of the Fowl, written by Hutt, I believe. Extraordinary circumstances exist, but as a general rule they found a new cock's sperm to override by 10 days. Wait longer if you wish, because as you can see, the exception proves the rule.

ETA: I read through the thread you posted about the LO and RLW parentage, and that does confirm Hutt's findings that rose combed sperm doesn't compete well with single comb sperm.

Last edited:
@NatJ, about this mottling gene, I am working one brown red Japanese bantams and I had my f1 chicks hatch out mottled. Brown red Japanese x white black tailed Japanese
View attachment 3596231View attachment 3596232View attachment 3596233

Now they are not mottled. They look like this now.
Roos being black patterned yellow/golden*S -necked/birchen (plan on selling)
View attachment 3596241View attachment 3596242

And my two hens being brown red
View attachment 3596244View attachment 3596245View attachment 3596246

So when I breed my girls to my brown red roo will I have problems with mottling if both parents carry the mottled gene and would you know why the chicks hatched out mottled?
Thanks
It’s possible only one of the Japanese bantam parents was carrying mottling, and the chicks are splits.

It could if you hatch enough chicks. You could also breed the parents to a chicken with two copies of the mottling gene.
This is kind of a stupid question but doesn’t both the dad and mom have to carry the mottled gene for the chicks to express the recessive gene?

Hopefully this helps if my roo is the one that carries the mottled gene. I’ve bred the brown red jap roo to a Mille Fleur before, which is what I use to start my brown red mottled D’Uccles project.
Here is 2 pics of the japxduccles pairing
171D6202-F580-46AD-B89A-535E9085C287.jpeg
5F41654F-D747-4639-8D5D-3E642A4351A8.jpeg

This is kind of a stupid question but doesn’t both the dad and mom have to carry the mottled gene for the chicks to express the recessive gene?

Hopefully this helps if my roo is the one that carries the mottled gene. I’ve bred the brown red jap roo to a Mille Fleur before, which is what I use to start my brown red mottled D’Uccles project.
Here is 2 pics of the japxduccles pairing
View attachment 3606743View attachment 3606744
Yes, both parents have to carry it. So breeding a carrier to a carrier has a 1/4 chance of making mottled chicks. And breeding a carrier to one with visible mottling gives you a 1/2 chance at mottled chicks.

The rooster definitely carries mottling if he’s produced chicks with two copies of the gene (two copies = visible mottling).

Yes, both parents have to carry it. So breeding a carrier to a carrier has a 1/4 chance of making mottled chicks. And breeding a carrier to one with visible mottling gives you a 1/2 chance at mottled chicks.

The rooster definitely carries mottling if he’s produced chicks with two copies of the gene (two copies = visible mottling).
Thanks you! So do you think I’ll have problems then with mottling popping up in future generations?

So how would I get them to breed the mottled gene out?
You’d have to keep breeding until you think you have enough of a population without the mottling gene. Then take each of your breeders and cross them with a mottled chicken to see if they’re carriers. Right now you know all your breeders are carriers, so doing that wouldn’t help, but in the future you should be able to do some test-breeding to make sure the mottling is gone.

Back
Top Bottom