The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Looks like he maybe Platinum. Platinum is created by breeding Dun X Blue.

Dun is produced by 1 copy of the Khaki gene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, still learning about the color.
Khaki is a mutation in the dominant white Allele. Dun, & Platinum are both created by the Khaki gene.

Khaki - I^d/I^d

Dun - I^d/i+

Platinum - I^d/I+, Bl/bl+

Khaki behaves like Splash, in a way.
How do you know if you have a dun bird or a khaki bird?

How to know for sure is by breeding, but the color can also be pretty obvious.
Dun looks chocolate.
20230904_135153.jpg
20230904_134918.jpg
Khaki looks abit like a silvery blue, or can be described as a Faded Blue color.

So, im a sucker for chickens being sold at fairs and might find myself getting some bantam wyandottes. Was wondering (out of curiosity) what the outcome for breeding these could look like.

The colors (solid, not laced) are black, chocolate, and white.

What could some of the color combos come out to be? For example, a chocolate to a black or white?

And what could the chick look like if i bred a bantam wyandotte to my Japanese bantams?

Thanks!

So, im a sucker for chickens being sold at fairs and might find myself getting some bantam wyandottes. Was wondering (out of curiosity) what the outcome for breeding these could look like.

What could some of the color combos come out to be? For example, a chocolate to a black or white?

And what could the chick look like if i bred a bantam wyandotte to my Japanese bantams?

Thanks!
The question is if it's true chocolate(Sexlinked), or Dun(Chocolate)?

But I'll leave this one for someone who has more experience with true chocolates.

Depending on other genes the bird has, Khaki can look almost indistinguishable from Dun. The Khakis I have owned and seen have varied from birds that look white with just a tint of brownishness to birds that were a pale brown almost identical to Dun, maybe a shade or two lighter or 'duller', if that makes sense. The Duns of the same line in that case were a darker brown that could have been mistaken for sexlinked chocolate at first glance, though on further inspection were a bit lighter than sexlinked chocolate usually is.

Thanks!

From what I have seen, solid Chocolate Wyandottes tend to be sexlinked chocolate, while laced could be either sexlinked or dun. If these are solid Chocolates, I'd assume you're looking at sexlinked chocolate. That means that what you'll get from crossing them to other varieties depends on if the Chocolate individual is male or female.

A male Chocolate crossed to a female Black would make sexlinks, where all cockerels that hatch are Black and carry one copy of the chocolate gene, and all pullets that hatch are Chocolate.

A male Black crossed to a female Chocolate just makes all Black offspring, but the males in this cross carry the chocolate gene as well.

White in Wyandottes is recessive white if I remember correctly. Recessive white generally covers everything, hiding all other plumage pattern and color genes. That means that it's hard to predict what will result from crossing a White Wyandotte to another variety. Since it is recessive, you would expect either Black or Chocolate offspring from crossing them to Black or Chocolate (inherited the same as above depending on the sex of the Chocolate parent), but you might see color leakage if the Whites are carrying, for example, Partridge genetics beneath their white exterior.

As for breeding them to Japanese, I believe the shortleg gene that Japanese bantams have is partially dominant, where zero copies is normal leg length, one is shortleg, and two copies generally results in embryonic death before hatching. That means that if your Japanese has short legs, then about half of the offspring when crossed to a Wyandotte will as well, while the other half will have normal legs. If the Japanese does not have short legs, then all offspring will have normal legs as well. I would expect rose combs in all of the offspring, but you may see single combs if your Wyandottes are not pure for the rose comb gene as happens sometimes in rose combed breeds. Plumage coloring would depend on what colors your Japanese are, especially with the White Wyandottes, but with the Blacks and Chocolates I would expect a mostly solid-colored bird, either Black or Chocolate depending on the sex and color of the Wyandotte parent, and likely with color leakage. I would also expect them to fall somewhere between the two for shape, fluffier than the Japanese but with a more prominent tail than the Wyandottes.

Depending on other genes the bird has, Khaki can look almost indistinguishable from Dun. The Khakis I have owned and seen have varied from birds that look white with just a tint of brownishness to birds that were a pale brown almost identical to Dun, maybe a shade or two lighter or 'duller', if that makes sense. The Duns of the same line in that case were a darker brown that could have been mistaken for sexlinked chocolate at first glance, though on further inspection were a bit lighter than sexlinked chocolate usually is.
Interesting, I have a khaki OEGB, just curious can u get a dun from khaki x khaki? And isn’t dun pretend chocolate?
Thanks

Some people do refer to dun patterns as chocolate. I'm not sure why exactly, other than that the genes have a similar dilution effect on plumage. But, generally speaking, chocolate makes deep, dark browns and dun makes paler browns. Their inheritance is quite different as well. Dun is an allele of dominant white, I^d, with a partial dominant expression, versus chocolate, denoted simply as choc, that is a sexlinked recessive gene with no other known alleles as far as I am aware. As a partial dominant, dun behaves like blue when breeding; one copy of the gene dilutes the black parts of the feather to a brown color, while two copies dilute further to a paler brown or nearly white color.

You cannot get dun by breeding khaki to khaki. Khaki is I^d/I^d, while dun is I^d/i+. The khaki parents don't have i+ so cannot impart that to any of their offspring. You can, however, get dun by breeding khaki to black. Khaki being I^d/I^d and black being i+/i+, all of the offspring in such a cross will be dun, I^d/i+. And breeding khaki to dun also produces some duns, of course!

Some people do refer to dun patterns as chocolate. I'm not sure why exactly, other than that the genes have a similar dilution effect on plumage. But, generally speaking, chocolate makes deep, dark browns and dun makes paler browns. Their inheritance is quite different as well. Dun is an allele of dominant white, I^d, with a partial dominant expression, versus chocolate, denoted simply as choc, that is a sexlinked recessive gene with no other known alleles as far as I am aware. As a partial dominant, dun behaves like blue when breeding; one copy of the gene dilutes the black parts of the feather to a brown color, while two copies dilute further to a paler brown or nearly white color.

You cannot get dun by breeding khaki to khaki. Khaki is I^d/I^d, while dun is I^d/i+. The khaki parents don't have i+ so cannot impart that to any of their offspring. You can, however, get dun by breeding khaki to black. Khaki being I^d/I^d and black being i+/i+, all of the offspring in such a cross will be dun, I^d/i+. And breeding khaki to dun also produces some duns, of course!
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom