The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Depending on other genes the bird has, Khaki can look almost indistinguishable from Dun. The Khakis I have owned and seen have varied from birds that look white with just a tint of brownishness to birds that were a pale brown almost identical to Dun, maybe a shade or two lighter or 'duller', if that makes sense. The Duns of the same line in that case were a darker brown that could have been mistaken for sexlinked chocolate at first glance, though on further inspection were a bit lighter than sexlinked chocolate usually is.
Do you have any photos of darker khaki birds 👀 ? I’ve only seen photos of light khaki polish(that whitish look with a brown tint), which is ridiculously pretty, but I’m curious to see a darker khaki.

Any idea what's going on with this one? It's a Chamois Spitzhauben, red with white spangled but this one turned out so much different than the other four.

Weird one.
20230905_204920.jpg

Normal one.
1000002850.jpg

Do you have any photos of darker khaki birds 👀 ? I’ve only seen photos of light khaki polish(that whitish look with a brown tint), which is ridiculously pretty, but I’m curious to see a darker khaki.

The darker Khaki color apparently is fairly common in the Dun / Khaki Polish varieties, so if you search for White Crested Khaki Polish you can find a few pictures that show various khaki shades. This was a White Crested Khaki Polish at a show I went to:

white crested khaki polish.jpg

Compared to some of my Fawn (dun) Silver Duckwing OEGBs, you can see it's almost the same shade of gray-brown versus the Khaki SDW who almost looks white at first glance (he was still growing back his tail feathers from molting at the time I took that picture 🤭 ).

Mallow.jpg
Altair 11-5-20.jpg
Feldon.jpg

The lighting in the show barn was absolutely terrible in places so there's some wash-out in this picture, but this is about as true to what the dun version looked like in person as I could get. They referred to it as White Crested Chocolate, but then said when bred it produces some khakis and some blacks, so, you know, the forever super clear naming conventions for chicken varieties. :idunno

Polish, White Crowned Chocolate hen color.jpg

Last edited:
Any idea what's going on with this one? It's a Chamois Spitzhauben, red with white spangled but this one turned out so much different than the other four.

Weird one.
20230905_204920.jpg

Huh, that one looks like a leaky Paint rather than any kind of spangled. 🤔 Where did you get these birds?

Weird. I do see a few birds that look almost solid white in Cackle's listing for them... 🤔

Playing around with the spangled pattern in the chicken calculator, it looks like the spangled pattern is genetically ER/ER Db/Db Ml/Ml Pg/Pg. A bird with most of those genes present but that is db+/db+ instead of Db/Db ends up being solid or mostly solid black. Chamois is the result of gold spangling plus dominant white, which makes the black spangles of the feathers turn white. On what would otherwise be a solid black bird, dominant white would make the bird be mostly white instead, and any gold would leak through. So I would speculate that some of Cackle's Chamois Spitzhauben breeders are Db/db+ and thus are producing some db+/db+ offspring, and that's what your bird is. Basically, if that is the case, then essentially she is white with leakage.

But, that's purely speculation on my part based on how the genes seem to behave. 🙂

The darker Khaki color apparently is fairly common in the Dun / Khaki Polish varieties, so if you search for White Crested Khaki Polish you can find a few pictures that show various khaki shades. This was a White Crested Khaki Polish at a show I went to:

View attachment 3629233

Compared to some of my Fawn (dun) Silver Duckwing OEGBs, you can see it's almost the same shade of gray-brown versus the Khaki SDW who almost looks white at first glance (he was still growing back his tail feathers from molting at the time I took that picture 🤭 ).

View attachment 3629250

The lighting in the show barn was absolutely terrible in places so there's some wash-out in this picture, but this is about as true to what the dun version looked like in person as I could get. They referred to it as White Crested Chocolate, but then said when bred it produces some khakis and some blacks, so, you know, the forever super clear naming conventions for chicken varieties. :idunno
Ahh. Thanks for sharing. 😅 I mistook dark khakis for light ones, apparently. I learned of Dun/Khaki through polish chickens, which might've skewed my perception of it. I've only actually seen one light khaki polish, most of the others were a tone similar to the guy below(not my photo). When you referenced 'dark khakis', I figured you just meant darker than this. Your boy is LIGHT. I swear the only bit of tinting I can see is in his tail.
Naming conventions are confusing. Sex-linked chocolate hasn't been established in polish though, which is honestly good. I can't imagine how much more confusing everything would be if both genes were getting mixed together in polish flocks.

1694014642624.png

Haha, I started with the OEGBs so I guess it skewed my perspective of khaki the opposite way! 🤭 When I first saw that Khaki Polish, I was like no way, that's dun, not khaki! It is a beautiful color, though.

With the right lighting, you can definitely see a difference between the white/silver parts and the khaki parts of the Khaki SDW plumage. This picture shows a distinct brown tinge to the khaki parts of the bird, for example. Not the smudges in his tail, those are stains from him getting into things. :rolleyes: But most of the time, they pretty much just look like they're white unless you're looking really closely. Interesting how much variation there is in the color!

Louis the mighty.jpg

Okay I think this is an easy question for this group.

Am I correct, based on the chick down on this baby…that I have a boy? I believe this is a Brahma baby from my Buff Brahma rooster and my Light Brahma hen. If that is correct and I understand the genetics of this crossing—the “light Brahma” like down would imply I have a boy? Yes? No? Am I terribly confused? 🤪

026FDEF6-1016-46A4-9C1B-EFAECA9F95F9.jpeg

32039028-D264-48C3-AAE9-DB96970150F2.jpeg

E9171F94-8B26-4D2A-A4FF-B9F644C01727.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom