The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

So I need better photos of Dusty but I'm pretty sure he's a blue gold duckwing bantam EE. I want a flock of Ameraucana in this color.

View attachment 3695098

Compared to an old english game or Dutch bantam. This one is golden dun. Not my bird or picture.
View attachment 3695099
Those two have a lot of similarities to my wild type roo I was thinking is silver. Think I'll go and stare at him tomorrow. Can see why you want a flock of Dusty's ❤️

I'm pretty sure Dusty is a golden blue duckwing. More pictures, these are in a warm light.

1000004431.jpg

1000004433.jpg

1000004437.jpg

1000004439.jpg

I started trying to learn about the mahogany gene and Dusty reminds me of example birds they showed in an article talking about mahogany and Ap. Unfortunately I'm a long long way from understanding all I read still...but if I understood correctly...he might have both in him. Do you know anything about his genes?

I started trying to learn about the mahogany gene and Dusty reminds me of example birds they showed in an article talking about mahogany and Ap. Unfortunately I'm a long long way from understanding all I read still...but if I understood correctly...he might have both in him. Do you know anything about his genes?
Unfortunately no. He's a TSC chick that I just happened to luck out on his color and breed. He's definitely an EE and comparing him to others that have the same coloring makes it relatively safe to say it's golden blue duckwing.

I have golden duckwing Phoenix and they have is yellowy straw coloring on some. He is more blonde like the boys I got from crossing silver duckwing Phoenix and golden duckwing Phoenix.

I think my best bet is to breed him to silver Ameraucana hens both bantam and LF. I'm going to look into getting him tested for the blue egg gene so I can be certain of at lest that.

I've been reading about mahogany and autosomal pheomelanin. I read that oegb spangle carry both and I have some of those so I've been looking them over good and then going back to stare at my dwarfs.

I don't see that depth of color in any of my dwarfs. Guessing that means it's not there. This is my darkest boy:
20231205_124603.jpg

And for hens I don't have any with the dark reddish-chocolate look my spangle hens have. But I do have a hen with a similar color, just diluted in depth:
20231205_125159.jpg

Neither look mahogany to me so thought I'd see what others think.

Also, when I play with the calculator I can get examples of this boy without mahogany...just plain splash maybe. Several different combinations said some boys should look like this.
20230807_111021.jpg

But I'm only getting the following boy predicted when I add mahogany and silver:
20230720_201225.jpg

Is that likely to mean mahogany is there and I just don't know how to see it, or is it more likely I'm barking up the wrong tree and looking for something that's probably not there?

Last edited:
@NatJ i am going to breed my porcelain OEGB hen to my Fawn OEGB so I can continue the porcelain color, a cording to the calculator I’ll get this
25% Pullets, fawn/dun patterned silver incomplete-columbian
25% Pullets, black patterned silver incomplete-columbian
25% Cockerels, fawn/dun patterned yellow/golden*S columbian
25% Cockerels, black patterned yellow/golden*S columbian
*S = heterozygous Silver S/s+
What does all this mean? I know the chicks will be recessive lavender and recessive mottled
And would it jut be easier to breed her to a porcelain D’Uccles rather than fawn?

Back
Top Bottom