The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Nobody has answered, so I will take a stab. From your splash Marans and a blue rooster, yes, it is weird to only get one splash chick out of 12. But not impossible. When we talk about what percentages to expect from a mating, those percentages apply to each chick. So each chick has a 50% chance of being splash or blue. So in theory, you could “roll the dice” 100 times, and still have blue come up 100 times. But yeah, normally we wouldn’t expect that to happen. Keep “rolling the dice”. If you hatch out a large enough number of offspring, your percentages should likely move closer to half and half.

I do have a question. This chick doesn’t really look like it was sired by either an Ameraucana or a Polish. Is it possible there is some other (non blue) rooster sneaking in?

View attachment 3716524
I don’t see signs of a crest or a beard, although maybe the crest could show up later?
Crest can show up later. This is from experience of Ameraucana x Spitzhaubens.

Nobody has answered, so I will take a stab. From your splash Marans and a blue rooster, yes, it is weird to only get one splash chick out of 12. But not impossible. When we talk about what percentages to expect from a mating, those percentages apply to each chick. So each chick has a 50% chance of being splash or blue. So in theory, you could “roll the dice” 100 times, and still have blue come up 100 times. But yeah, normally we wouldn’t expect that to happen. Keep “rolling the dice”. If you hatch out a large enough number of offspring, your percentages should likely move closer to half and half.

I do have a question. This chick doesn’t really look like it was sired by either an Ameraucana or a Polish. Is it possible there is some other (non blue) rooster sneaking in?

View attachment 3716524
I don’t see signs of a crest or a beard, although maybe the crest could show up later?
I've figured that part out now- None belong to the ameraucana. Every chick I currently have have split single combs. (Not sure the exact name, but i believe when the chick is bit older it'll start looking more like a single comb in the shape of a v-comb)
I'm just now seeing feathers starting to stick out of the head of my 4/5 week old.
Still disappointing that I didn't get more than one splash, I'll hatch again in the future I suppose.
Pictured first is my oldest one I mentioned above, if you look at the top he/she has like two little feathers lol.
17041240558276888568300463247363.jpg
17041240859266781039933645027253.jpg

This is the one you responded to about not looking like it belonged to either blue rooster- This one is the only one you can really see the split on on camera. (Probably a rooster, it has the biggest comb so far. )
17041242147418475943746226398477.jpg

I've figured that part out now- None belong to the ameraucana. Every chick I currently have have split single combs. (Not sure the exact name, but i believe when the chick is bit older it'll start looking more like a single comb in the shape of a v-comb)
I'm just now seeing feathers starting to stick out of the head of my 4/5 week old.
Still disappointing that I didn't get more than one splash, I'll hatch again in the future I suppose.
Pictured first is my oldest one I mentioned above, if you look at the top he/she has like two little feathers lol.
View attachment 3716532View attachment 3716533
This is the one you responded to about not looking like it belonged to either blue rooster- This one is the only one you can really see the split on on camera. (Probably a rooster, it has the biggest comb so far. )
View attachment 3716539
Yup that's from the polish! I had a cool one from the Spitzhauben crosses that had a dubble bladed combe.

Hello Genetics Gurus! I'm working on a line e+ wild type Araucana. I recently bought this pullet and had her shipped across country, but I can't tell if she's silver duckwing or golden duckwing. What do you see? Thank you for the help, I'm losing my mind trying to dissect the e+ from the eWh :barnie

Attachments

• IMG_20231231_110259028_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231231_110259028_HDR.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 15
Hello Genetics Gurus! I'm working on a line e+ wild type Araucana. I recently bought this pullet and had her shipped across country, but I can't tell if she's silver duckwing or golden duckwing. What do you see? Thank you for the help, I'm losing my mind trying to dissect the e+ from the eWh :barnie
She looks silver. Just looks like there are flaws in the coloring as it's not as uniform as it should be.

She looks silver. Just looks like there are flaws in the coloring as it's not as uniform as it should be.
Thank you, that's what I suspected when I got her... I sold her to a girl working on Araucana duckwings... I'm new to this breed really, and it seems like people have confused e+ and wheaten for so long, they've almost lost the e+ birds. Recently there are a few of us working to bring them back. I'm finding it almost impossible to get anything to work with... Any patterned birds that I do find available end up being wheaten based.

....As a sidenote, I see you're in Angleton TX! My grandparents were down there! Small world :) I was born and raised up in Mineral Wells

@NagemTX ... What are your thoughts on this pullet? Again, she was sold to me as an e+ wild type. I think she's eb, possibly melanized somehow...

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_122407211_MP.jpg
    IMG_20240119_122407211_MP.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240117_130245218_MP.jpg
    IMG_20240117_130245218_MP.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 9
@NagemTX ... What are your thoughts on this pullet? Again, she was sold to me as an e+ wild type. I think she's eb, possibly melanized somehow...
I'm not going to have alot of solid answers and someone else may need to chime in. I'm good with silver because I have silver Phoenix. They are hatchery birds and have flaws but are a pretty good representation of that color.

The bird in the new photos kinda looks like almost red columbian. Almost because I'm not as sure on it.

Anyone else following the thread that knows more, please chime in. Lol. 😅

I'm not going to have alot of solid answers and someone else may need to chime in. I'm good with silver because I have silver Phoenix. They are hatchery birds and have flaws but are a pretty good representation of that color.

The bird in the new photos kinda looks like almost red columbian. Almost because I'm not as sure on it.

Anyone else following the thread that knows more, please chime in. Lol. 😅
Ok, well thank you! Maybe somebody knows something... My first thought was the same as yours, red columbian, but I'm certain the person I bought her from is too well organized for that to happen. I'm surprised he sold her as e+ BBR, he should know better.
I only have a Wheaten BBR cockbird, so she's in with him. I set a dozen eggs, I'm anxious to see what they produce.

Back
Top Bottom