The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Ok, well thank you! Maybe somebody knows something... My first thought was the same as yours, red columbian, but I'm certain the person I bought her from is too well organized for that to happen. I'm surprised he sold her as e+ BBR, he should know better.
I only have a Wheaten BBR cockbird, so she's in with him. I set a dozen eggs, I'm anxious to see what they produce.
I do know there is only wheaten and the hens do not look like that. They are a creamy buff like color and the cock birds look like bbr but they are not wild type but wheaten.

BBR the hens look similar to silver duckwing hens but more brown red. This is because BBR is a duckwing wild type.

She is neither of those.

Ok, well thank you! Maybe somebody knows something... My first thought was the same as yours, red columbian, but I'm certain the person I bought her from is too well organized for that to happen. I'm surprised he sold her as e+ BBR, he should know better.
I only have a Wheaten BBR cockbird, so she's in with him. I set a dozen eggs, I'm anxious to see what they produce.
She appears to be at least hetero for wheaten. If the breeder says she's e+ then maybe she's simply hetero for e+ and wheaten. I imagine there might be a melanizer involved as well.
When e+ and wheaten are mixed together enough they can come out in a real mishmash of colors and even more so when there's a melanizer present.

Exactly! - I have some silver wheaten hens and a cinnamon (not sure the correct name, dark wheaten?) wheaten pullet - and they don't resemble this girl at all. My wheaten cockbird has bright crisp color compared to the more subdued color of e+ BBR cock.... For comparison, the trio that was supposed to be e+ wild type BBR, but in reality they're some combo of wheaten BBR, and the silver wheaten hens

Attachments

• BBR Trio 122023.jpg
    BBR Trio 122023.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231010_125446304 (2).jpg
    IMG_20231010_125446304 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
She appears to be at least hetero for wheaten. If the breeder says she's e+ then maybe she's simply hetero for e+ and wheaten. I imagine there might be a melanizer involved as well.
When e+ and wheaten are mixed together enough they can come out in a real mishmash of colors and even more so when there's a melanizer present.
"Mishmash" is a really good way to put it...the confusion in the Araucana breed has been going on for so long, I feel like we have 2 balls of string that got tangled up and now a handful of us are working to reverse it all. - I can't even get my hands on e+ birds, the only breeder I know that has any, won't have any available to sell for some time.

Exactly! - I have some silver wheaten hens and a cinnamon (not sure the correct name, dark wheaten?) wheaten pullet - and they don't resemble this girl at all. My wheaten cockbird has bright crisp color compared to the more subdued color of e+ BBR cock.... For comparison, the trio that was supposed to be e+ wild type BBR, but in reality they're some combo of wheaten BBR, and the silver wheaten hens
Both of those pictures are excellent examples of e+ and wheaten being bred together for several generations.
I unwittingly did it in an attempt to isolate the e+ gene for a project I had, I also had a melanizer present, but was never able to completely identify it before I gave up on the project to focus on more important things I had going on. I wouldn't mind dabbling with it sometime in the future.
Do you know if ColtHandorf has the real e+?

Both of those pictures are excellent examples of e+ and wheaten being bred together for several generations.
I unwittingly did it in an attempt to isolate the e+ gene for a project I had, I also had a melanizer present, but was never able to completely identify it before I gave up on the project to focus on more important things I had going on. I wouldn't mind dabbling with it sometime in the future.
Do you know if ColtHandorf has the real e+?
I've never interacted with this person - I was just looking at our club breeders directory, gonna start cold calling and see if I can locate any... Thanks for the lead, I'll reach out and see if ColtHandorf has any! Fingers crossed lol!
If I could find just a "decent" cockbird, maybe I could put him over these 2 hens and start working away from the wheaten gene...If the hens are split for e+

"Mishmash" is a really good way to put it...the confusion in the Araucana breed has been going on for so long, I feel like we have 2 balls of string that got tangled up and now a handful of us are working to reverse it all. - I can't even get my hands on e+ birds, the only breeder I know that has any, won't have any available to sell for some time.
Or bothe and that is so confusing! 😎

Back
Top Bottom