MomView attachment 3731207
Dad is a white Silkie, unsure if he’s dominant white or recessive white

Babies
View attachment 3731210View attachment 3731211
Dad is the white Silkie in the back
View attachment 3731212View attachment 3731215

I also got paint, black and partridge from the pairing
View attachment 3731214View attachment 3731213
The hen is hetero for dominant white and the silkie is recessive white. Hetero dominant white will statistically produce 50% dominant white and 50% whatever other colors are in the mix. The hen does not seem to carry recessive white therefore none of the chicks are solid white, but all of them carry recessive white from their sire. Because recessive white hides under a first generation cross you'll get every other color that's in the mix.

This is eb/eb ie black patterned gold partridge.
1705958117730.png

This is e+/e+ ie black patterned gold duckwing.
1705958296022.png

Notice the diffence in breast color.
A hen that is hetero eb and hetero e+ looks like an e+ according to the calculator.

The hen is hetero for dominant white and the silkie is recessive white. Hetero dominant white will statistically produce 50% dominant white and 50% whatever other colors are in the mix. The hen does not seem to carry recessive white therefore none of the chicks are solid white, but all of them carry recessive white from their sire. Because recessive white hides under a first generation cross you'll get every other color that's in the mix.

This is eb/eb ie black patterned gold partridge. View attachment 3731318.

This is e+/e+ ie black patterned gold duckwing. View attachment 3731321

Notice the diffence in breast color.
A hen that is hetero eb and hetero e+ looks like an e+ according to the calculator.
Thanks!

@troyer what is the best way to test breed for dominant white?
Dominant white covers/changes the black feathers to white except for the few feathers that might show black specks. Breed the dominant white to a black or mostly black chicken.
If you don't have a solid black pretty much any color that has enough black in it to be covered will work as well.
1705965509039.png

The white on this pullet is dominant white. If it wasn't for dominant white these same feathers would be black in the same saturation as the white is showing.

1705965739091.png

Here the dominant white has replaced what would black without dominant white.

1705965843254.png

The difference between these two is the amount of black they would have had, had it not been for the dominant white covering the black.

1705965965881.png

No dominant white here, if they have dominant white, it shows. If she did have dominant white it would change all the black in the feathers to white.

Dominant white covers/changes the black feathers to white except for the few feathers that might show black specks. Breed the dominant white to a black or mostly black chicken.
If you don't have a solid black pretty much any color that has enough black in it to be covered will work as well.
View attachment 3731584
The white on this pullet is dominant white. If it wasn't for dominant white these same feathers would be black in the same saturation as the white is showing.

View attachment 3731592
Here the dominant white has replaced what would black without dominant white.

View attachment 3731593
The difference between these two is the amount of black they would have had, had it not been for the dominant white covering the black.

View attachment 3731595
No dominant white here, if they have dominant white, it shows. If she did have dominant white it would change all the black in the feathers to white.
Thanks
Do you think if I bred the two dominant whites together would I get birds that are also white and red or would I just get dominant white silkied birds.

Thanks
Do you think if I bred the two dominant whites together would I get birds that are also white and red or would I just get dominant white silkied birds.
No, I wanted to breed the two red ply colored birds together. Sorry I should of elaborated better.
Yes, if you breed the two that look Red Pyle (white & red), you should get some chicks with the same coloring.

At least 3/4 of the chicks should have the Dominant White gene that turns black into white, and most of them will also inherit whatever genes are allowing red to show in some places.

You might get a few chicks that show black instead of white (about 1/4 of total chicks, if you get any.) And you might get some chicks that are solid white or black instead of showing red (I don't know what fraction they would be, because I don't fully understand what genes are causing that in your chickens.)

Yes, if you breed the two that look Red Pyle (white & red), you should get some chicks with the same coloring.

At least 3/4 of the chicks should have the Dominant White gene that turns black into white, and most of them will also inherit whatever genes are allowing red to show in some places.

You might get a few chicks that show black instead of white (about 1/4 of total chicks, if you get any.) And you might get some chicks that are solid white or black instead of showing red (I don't know what fraction they would be, because I don't fully understand what genes are causing that in your chickens.)
Thanks!

Well said. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom