The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pretty new to chickens/genetics here! I'm wondering what this pattern/colour combo might be called for my girl Tansy? She's a sweetheart and I love how delicate these markings look, so I would like to pass on her genes if possible. I've been playing around with the genetics calculator but I'm not sure what I would list this as.

She's a 6 month old BYM, supposed to be an Ameraucana/Leghorn cross, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. She had the standard chipmunk stripes as a chick. So far I haven't actually seen her lay an egg but I suspect it's one of these two lighter ones that started showing up a few weeks ago (which I guess would mean she can't have a pure Ameraucana as one of her parents? I had been hoping for a light blue shell but the pinky-cream is cute too).

Any insight on her genetics (and/or what a good Roo might be to use with her if I want to pass on her markings) would be much appreciated!!
PXL_20231206_181051642~2.jpg
PXL_20231206_181038404.jpg
PXL_20240115_171058261~2.jpg

This is probably a dumb question but is it possible that one of my roosters produces more roosters than hens, or is it just bad luck. I was getting 50/50 hatches until I started using this new roosters and now I have been getting 90% roosters

Pretty new to chickens/genetics here! I'm wondering what this pattern/colour combo might be called for my girl Tansy? She's a sweetheart and I love how delicate these markings look, so I would like to pass on her genes if possible. I've been playing around with the genetics calculator but I'm not sure what I would list this as.

She's a 6 month old BYM, supposed to be an Ameraucana/Leghorn cross, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. She had the standard chipmunk stripes as a chick. So far I haven't actually seen her lay an egg but I suspect it's one of these two lighter ones that started showing up a few weeks ago (which I guess would mean she can't have a pure Ameraucana as one of her parents? I had been hoping for a light blue shell but the pinky-cream is cute too).

Any insight on her genetics (and/or what a good Roo might be to use with her if I want to pass on her markings) would be much appreciated!!View attachment 3732188View attachment 3732189View attachment 3732196
You say she had chipmunk stripes? Was her main body color a yellow or a brown?

This is probably a dumb question but is it possible that one of my roosters produces more roosters than hens, or is it just bad luck. I was getting 50/50 hatches until I started using this new roosters and now I have been getting 90% roosters
Generally the hen determines the sex of the chicks, more so than the rooster. Did you also change your hens?

You say she had chipmunk stripes? Was her main body color a yellow or a brown?

Her main body was a really light yellow! Unfortunately I can't find any baby pics.

Actually, thinking back, she was a bit odd as a baby - I went to a local farm to pick out a few "Ameraucana/Leghorn mix" chicks (terrible biosecurity protocol, as I now know), and most of the chicks in the brooder were lavender or blue, a lot with obvious little muffs. She was the only chipmunk chick so I said hey why not, she'll add another feather colour to my little flock. There were also a bunch of guinea keets (an obvious different shape) zooming around in the same brooder and when I asked to see Tansy the farmer thought she was another keet at first. I've never considered it but I do doubt she would be a hybrid because she looks 100% Chicken. Howwwever, when I eventually introduced her and the blue puffy cheeked chicks to the rest of my baby flock they all accepted the blues and HATED on Tansy for weeks for no apparent reason. At first I thought she must be a roo because the obvious little boys of the group would challenge/chase her constantly. Now everyone's happy together, but it was so odd at the time.

I'm getting ready to put some of my fertile chicken eggs in the incubator. My rooster is a lavender Americana/ black copper Marans cross. I'm assuming this makes him an Easter Egger. The eggs I'm putting in there are from the following hens:
Rhode Island Red
Black copper marans
Blue Australorp
Blue copper marans
Blue Plymouth Rock
Blue laced red Wyandotte
Barred rock

I'm curious as to what colors you think they will be? I'm assuming most of them will either be black or blue. In addition, any idea what color eggs they might lay if they are hens?

I have attached a picture of the rooster for reference. And just for fun, I attached a picture of some of the eggs I will be putting in the incubator..

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_211552395.jpg
    PXL_20240112_211552395.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 17067232192307743630629769106032.jpg
    17067232192307743630629769106032.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom